Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

Hi, Im 99% positive I have ADHD. I live in the UK and professional

Customer Question

I'm 99% positive I have ADHD. I live in the UK and professional diagnosis for adults is near non-exitent. I was, however, diagnosed with it as a child and anecdotally everything fits.

Putting aside my own personal issues with asking for help, I'm struggling to find reasons to aggresively seek diagnosis and/or medical help.

So my question is: how do you know when ADHD is affecting your life?

It sounds stupid, I know, but without a frame of reference of a 'normal' life I'm terrified that I'm actually just bleating when, in reality, I'm facing the same problems as everyone else and failing for one of a myriad of reasons. Am I even failing? Being machevellian about it: if you get by, does it matter if it's hard?

I was mith my ex-fiancee for 7 years and she became clinically depressed. She had 5 or 6 serious breakdowns, so I know how destructive mental issues can be. To date I've had none, so am I not as ill as I could be? Am I not ill at all? Do I have to be unemployed and living on the street, or crying myself to sleep every night, to really be "suffering". I don't want to be a burden or an annoyance on GPs if I'm not.

Thanks for your time
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Kelley :

Hi. Thanks for using JustAnswers! Give me a few minutes while I work on your question.

Kelley :

If you were diagnosed as a child then you still have ADHD. That is one of the criteria is that you were diagnosed or had symptoms prior to age 7. Your life and your difficulties can not be measured up to anyone elses. There are people who I'm sure suffer more than you and people who suffer less, but we all live in our own realities and our problems are just as big as the next persons. I would ask that you do not minimize what you feel and that you strive to achieve the best life for yourself and going for what you need. It sounds like the ADHD is affecting your life at this time and there is never a wrong time or reason to see your doctor. They need to be your biggest allies and support and help you through any medical conditions you may be suffering including ADHD. They can also set you up with a therapist who can work with you as well. I really do hope that you seek help and find no shame in the need to seek help of your doctor. Please let me know if I can help anymore, I am here to help!