Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
35302356

my 7 year old son is persistently living in a dreamworld where

my 7 year old son is persistently living in a dreamworld where he tries to convice everyone else that what he is 'seeing' is true. i myslef suffer from psychosis and I am afraid that he is beginning to suffer the same. what he says is baltently not true and so far into fantasy land, but he gets angry if he is not believed.
Hello and thank you for contacting us.

I can definitely understand your concern.

You need to take your son to his GP for a proper assessment. There, he will be asked about any odd thoughts that he may have, the hallucinations that you mentioned and any behaviours that you may have noticed.

Family history is a significant risk factor and therefore you son needs to be assessed as quickly as possible as early diagnosis is necessary.

If your GP thinks that he presents with certain concerning features of possible psychosis then he would need to refer your son to your local Early Intervention Team for Psychosis or CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health team), for further specialist assessment, diagnosis and treatment.

It is important that you gave this priority as early diagnosis is very important to minimize any disturbances and complications in your son's life. If these hallucinations on the other hand are more related to e.g. imaginary friends, something which can be common with children, then you will not need to feel concerned. However, due to the family history one should take all precautions.

I do hope that everything works out well for you and your son

All the best

Mina