Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Is there any workable way to get past work induced psychosis

Customer Question

Is there any workable way to get past work induced psychosis without the need for medication?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am a psychiatrist and I can help. So that I can best assist you, could you tell me more about your specific symptoms.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Symptoms only seem to manifest during my down time such as late night when I am no long having to worry about work. At first it started with disturbing work related dreams, progressed to audio hallucinations, and now it has gotten to visual hallucinations. There have even been occurrences of my temper getting the better of me in situations that have no reason for such a response. The symptoms didn't begin time I got a high level management position at my job and with the more responsibilities that I get the more thing seem to get worse. I have tried lessening my responsibilities however that only seems to make them more. I read that I could seek help and with medication I would be able to kopt with the symptoms or rid myself of them all together. I just don't want to have to resort to medication.
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.
How long have you been experiencing these symptoms? What is the content of the hallucinations. Do they present everyday? Ever happens before? Any current stressors and any mood symptoms?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The visual symptoms for the last week, audio for the last two to three months, the loss of temper and mood shifting since around early February this year. Always while not at work. I'm able to control myself during that time but when my responsibilities are over for the day that is when I seem to suffer a loss of said control. I hear disembodied voices that sound like the workers that I have worked with and sometimes ones that I just can't identify. There is also a high pitched tone that I heard before I have a loss of temper. I think the temper may have to do with the headache that the tone causes. Visual range from seeing flashing lights of what looks more like a light flickering, seeing items from work at my home then after blinking and rubbing my eyes they are no longer there. I have even seen things written on paper and later find that the paper in question is in fact blank. The audio stimulation that causes the loss of temper has happened before when I worked at a different job years ago when on the job stress was high but at that time it happened while on and off the job. Usually I only have the symptoms at night after the days that I have worked. The worse the day is such as if really busy, large amounts of complaints, or if needing to cover for multiple people there with be an increase in certain symptoms, But never the same. I haven't noticed any repeating patterns only an increase or decrease. As for stressors I'm not sure if I've answered that but if I didn't I don't understand the question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.