Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
24585293

hard time coming to terms with having to be circumcised as

hard time coming to terms with having to be circumcised as an adult. Lost so much sensitivity and embarrassed with the way I look 'down there' now
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
cathy :

Hi are you there JA customer?

cathy :

hello, are you there?

Customer :

Yes I am Cathy

Customer :

Yes

cathy :

Hi nice to meet you and how are you doing tonight?

Customer :

Tired... it's late.. but my thoughts about this are a mess

cathy :

hello? are we connected here?

cathy :

okay I see

cathy :

how long since the circumcision and why so late in life?

Customer :

I was circumcised in 2002

cathy :

I see

cathy :

why so late in life?

Customer :

after paraphimosis - as an emergency

cathy :

I see. I just noticed you are writing from the UK, do you wish to do this tomorrow at an earlier time. I do not wish to ask you difficult questions if you are very tired and it is indeed quite late there? What would you like to do?

cathy :

Hello?

Customer :

If I can, yes please..... about midnight my time or a little later would be helpful

cathy :

poor customer is exhausted here

cathy :

writing from the UK

cathy :

ok I will look for you then. You have a good rest and good night.

Customer :

Thank you. Do I just come back on JA? How will I find you

Customer :

Please?

Customer :

Cathy?

Customer :

Oh dear.... you have left.

Customer :

I will bookmark this JA page and access it tomorrow

cathy :

Yes just come back online and I will look for you. Just come back and I will find you. Cathy

Customer :

Cathy, are you there?

Customer :

I will stay online for a while. Then go and hope to be back quite late in the small hours (my time). Christopher

cathy :

Christopher we keep missing each other here so I am opening this up to all the experts so anyone can work with you on this. Our time zones have us playing chat tag. I am opting out so that you get a speedier response and faster relief. Good Luck to you Christopher.

Expert:  cathy replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Sarah replied 4 years ago.
Hello Christopher,

I am picking this up after your conversation with our expert friend in America. I understand that you had emergency surgery and are now embarrassed by your appearance and are having a hard time coming to terms with your surgery. Sometimes when such things happen without our actual consent (ie. It had to be done rather than being a choice) then this can be regarded as a trauma, which means it can have an impact on the subconscious mind. Our subconscious mind is very powerful and holds strong information that we are unaware of. Seeking a trauma therapy may therefore be a way forward for you to explore and let go of these unwanted beliefs that may be lodged in your subconscious mind. I would recommend that you seek an EMDR therapist, this stands for eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing, which is a therapy that reaches deep in to the subconscious mind and allows us to change the connections in the brain and let go of stuff that hurts us. Have a look for more Info and a local therapist on www.emdria.com. If you feel this is not for you, you could try hypnotherapy, which also creates a communication with the subconscious mind, encouraging you to come to terms with and accept the surgery and the way you look now. Hypnosis is a very natural form of deep relaxation that we actually pass through each and every time we fall asleep and each time we awaken - it simply happens so fast that we miss it. You will be asked only to relax and NOT to do silly things, or things that you do not wish to do or say. You may find that it enhances your life in other ways, such as improved sleep ( if you need it) and certainly an appreciation of what it is to deeply relax. I hope this is helpful, please feel free to reply. Best Wishes, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 10/2/2010 at 9:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Sarah, and to both you and Cathy: thank you. (I'm sorry our time difference has proved to make 'live' interaction unworkable.I was comfortable talking to you.)

Sarah, I will use the link you gave to investigate EMDR which I had not heard about before. Hypotherapy is something a friend suggested. I will consider that too, since you recommended it also.

The help and time you both have given me is certainly worth paying for. I will click Accept Answer.

Expert:  Sarah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. XXXXX could trouble you for some feedback too, that would be great. With very best wishes, Sarah
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Feedback by what method, Sarah?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you online now? And if I Accept Answer before you reply can you still contact me?
Expert:  Sarah replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, sorry, it was very late England so I went off to bed. Once you have accepted, you should really list another question. If you want a certain person to answer it, you can put their name first and other experts will avoid it for the requested expert to pick up. After you have pressed accept, there should be an option to leave feedback, which is just a few words about my answer, the value of it, or something along those lines. I can also leave some for you. Once you have accepted and gone, the question will time out eventually and I cannot contact you after a few days. I guess this is to provide privacy for everyone who lists a question, other wise experts could be contacting all the time. Hope this helps, l free to ask if you have anything further - otherwise an accept would be great, thanks. Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.