Howard
Howard, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have worked 6 years with adolescents with behavioral issues, especially addictions.
50723258

Hi, Im a mother of a daughter who turned 18 July 29th. Since her 18th birthday she

Customer Question

I'm a mother of a daughter who turned 18 July 29th. Since her 18th birthday she has been doing so called photo modeling. I have found out this evening that she has really been prostituting. She is booked to leave for Thailand on Saturday, Oct. 3rd for ten days. I don't have any background or information on the man who bought her ticket and who she will be traveling with.

Can you help me, I am so upset and worried?
Thanks for your time,
Shelly
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Karen replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Karen Hoving :

Thank you so much for contacting Just Answer today. My name isXXXXX and I look forward to assisting you today.

Dr Karen Hoving :

I can't imagine what you are experiencing right now. What can I do to assist you right now?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

Can you please give me some advice?

Dr Karen Hoving :

Sure.

Dr Karen Hoving :

Are you two very close?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

we have been

Dr Karen Hoving :

I know that you said that you spoke with her about the dangers - did you tell her you knew that she was a prostitute?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

She has been making her own way the past few years and I have been pushed away

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

I just did in a text tonight when i told her to come and get her things and that she can't live here until she makes positive choices.

Dr Karen Hoving :

How did you discover that she was not doing regular modelling?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

Now I'm feeling so much saddness.

Dr Karen Hoving :

I'm sure you are. No matter how old are children become we can become crushed when they make terrible mistakes and we can't stop them.

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

I found a note pad tonight with hotel numbers, sites to post and names and phone numbers, all men.

Dr Karen Hoving :

Are you more frightened or more sad?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

I think both

Dr Karen Hoving :

And she is coming back in 10 days?

Dr Karen Hoving :

When you texted to her, I am sure you felt very angry as well, which is completely normal. It is how we express extreme fear some times

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

She has been texted to come and get her things tomorrow or I will give them to goodwill. Her flight is booked for Sat. with return in 10 days

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

No, I was not angry, very deeply hurt and sad and worried.

Dr Karen Hoving :

Have you had a face to face discussion about this or did this just all go down tonight?

Dr Karen Hoving :

Ok, so when you told her not to come back if she went, how did she react to the threat?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

We have been discussing this for a few weeks the modeling and the kind of shots, but I really did not want to think it further. This all happened about an hour ago. I even had a sherriff come and talk to me. She has not responded to my text.

Dr Karen Hoving :

What did the sheriff say? I assume he said because she is 18 there was nothing he could do?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

This text was not a threat, it is intended to have her look deeply into her lifestyle and make a choice...right now.

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

That is correct.

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

He will check her agent for criminal record data.

Dr Karen Hoving :

I understand about the text. Do you think she understood it wasn't a text out of anger that it was one out of compassion and concern and love?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

I have a constant habit of being just that for her. She knows it was not anger because I wrote it in a way and told her how much i love her, there was no anger to come across.

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

Do you have any other comments?

Dr Karen Hoving :

I understand what you said to her in the text - are you prepared to follow up with that if she goes? Or can you bring her back in to your home if she goes?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

Yes, first answer. I can't bring her back unless she does not prostitute.

Dr Karen Hoving :

It is very hard to cut off a child, and I understand completely that you are trying to watch out for her. It is frustrating to watch a child (even an adult one) make very very bad (and in this case life threatening mistakes) and stand back...I am more worried right now about you. How are YOU going to deal with this IF she goes? I know you will be very very frightened and concerned until she gets off that plane in 13 days...

Dr Karen Hoving :

I understand that. I don't understand why she is prostituting - does she need the money?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

I think we better end this. Thanks.

Dr Karen Hoving :

Wait have I upset you?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

No, I don't think you are tackling the issue. It's a lot of stuff to do online. I can't type anymore this is tiring. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good evening.

Dr Karen Hoving :

I know you are very upset about the situation, I would be happy to listen to you until you feel better and am sorry if I asked something that upset you. I was trying to get some information about why she would chose that lifestyle.

Dr Karen Hoving :

I am sorry. Why don't I opt out and you can get help from someone else OK?

Dr Karen Hoving :

I will opt out and your question will go back and another expert will perhaps be more helpful. I wish you much luck and am so sorry about your situation.

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

I need to go now, I can't type anymore it's too difficult to explain in this format. Can you log us out?

JACUSTOMER-141ye1vd- :

I don't want to go on. I'm closing the browser now.

Expert:  Howard replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I'm Howard

The way I read your question is this; you were asking for help in finding out background information. Is this correct? If so here is a website that may help. I think it costs about 30 bucks for a month subscription. http://publicrecordssearchonline.org/ There may be others out there with a week to a month free trial.