Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

If a child is approached by an adult outside of the family

Customer Question

If a child is approached by an adult outside of the family and asked not to do something - Is it possible for the child to start experiencing anxiety 2 or 3 days later
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Karen replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Karen Hoving :

Thank you so much for contacting Just Answer today. My name isXXXXX and I look forward to assisting you today.

Dr Karen Hoving :

Can you tell me a little bit more about what happened to your daughter?

Dr Karen Hoving :

When you say she was asked "not to do something" do you mean that she was asked not to "pick someone's flowers" or something more assertive? Was she yelled at? It is certainly possible for her to become anxious several days later - depending on the severity of the contact. I would like some more information however so I am going to switch to question and answer mode so we can chat when you are available

JACUSTOMER-piiyuq99- :

My daughter and another child at school havent been getting along at school for the last 3 months - 3 weeks ago the other little girls guardian approached both my child and his - my child said he called her name grabbed her hand and pulled her closer so he could ask her not to play with his again - said they are no longer to play together. My daughter now yells in her sleep and has developed an anxiety when she see's horses and horse transport vehicles - I've only just been informed that the other childs father looks after horses

JACUSTOMER-piiyuq99- :

Hello

Expert:  Dr Karen replied 6 years ago.
When you get this message if you could tell me a little bit about your daughter that would be very helpful. When you say she is anxious what exactly is she experiencing? Is she crying or tearful? Easily frustrated? Is she having nightmares? What did she tell you about the experience?

I am asking so I can advise you what to do, depending on the severity of her symptoms and what you understand occurred to her.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Dr Karen
Expert:  Dr Karen replied 6 years ago.
So, the other child's father grabbed your daughters hand and just said that she was not to play with her any more? That is very odd behavior of the child's father. Did she explain what they had been arguing about the last few months?

If that is exactly the way it played out (meaning, if your daughter didn't leave out anything that she is embarrassed about) then that seems like a bit of an over reaction. But she is clearly hurt and upset. If the behavior continues for more than a week, and you are sure she hasn't been hurt physically, then I would call her pediatrician and ask for some advice - either the name of a counselor for an evaluation, or just to check in and see what the MD feels.

I would also check in with the teacher of your daughter's school. Let her know about the fall out and ask her to keep an eye on your daughter for any unusual behavior (is she more distracted at school, is she seeming moody, how is she getting along with the other kids). I would let the teacher know that this happened and ask her if she had seen the girls together and if she had noticed any problems beyond just "normal kid stuff."

Would you like to share any other concerns about her behavior right now?