MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

I have paranoid OCD and use Ambien to control it. For some

I have paranoid OCD and use Ambien to control it. For some reason it works and the paranoid images in my head don't bother me that much. Still, I think taking 4 Ambien a day is excessive. I don't want to do any permanent damage to myself. I read that Ambien is based on an old anti-psychotic drug used in throughout the 50s and up to the early 70s. That may explain its sedating effect. I don't drive on it. I go to work and take it with a drink and when the day is done the drug has worn off. It has twice the power of Xanax.

Paranoia can be unbearable and Ambien at least makes it tolerable. It really clears the head. I have found a cheap Indian pipeline where I can get it with no questions asked.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
Do you have a specific question for which you are seeking an answer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is taking Ambien like this safe. I don't want to be a druggies. I have to get these paranoid thoughts out of my head. They hurt my efficiency by about 15%. Ambien also gets rid of repetitive phrases in my head. I have tried Zoloft and Xanax but Ambien is so much more effective. My last therapist said maybe you should try a beta blocker, and maybe OCD is not the whole problem. Maybe it is a touch of Psychotic Paranoia
Hello again.

The answer is no, taking Ambien during the daytime is DEFINITELY not safe. Taking 4 of them during the day is downright dangerous.

For that matter, I personally know physicians who are afraid to prescribe it for it's intended purpose - inducing sleep.

If you are struggling with paranoia, there are about 15 medications that are CONSIDERABLY better for treating it than Ambien. Ambien is also addictive, but NONE of the antipsychotic medications used to treat paranoia are addictive. In other words, they are more effective and will give you much better relief from paranoia compared with Ambien, and on top of that they are non-addictive.

Please discuss this with you psychiatrist or prescribing physician. Taking Ambien as you are is NOT SAFE.

I hope this helps you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have heard of Ambien addiction. Antipsychotics also have side effects as well.

Having both OCD and Paranoia is not easy to deal with, but I will find a way to deal with it. I may make appointment with a therapist.

I saw a piece on 60 minutes about Ambien waking up coma patients. It may be dangerous, but it also does some amazing stuff.

Hello again.
A psychiatrist is who you will need to see to get help with medications for paranoia and OCD.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Fortunately, I have a decent co-pay from my insurance company, and a Psychiatrist should not be more than $30.

It seems Ambien inhibits gaba and sediates the brain. This video below is interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9dLan1yetI

However, even I know taking 30 Ambien is 13 days is ridiculous. I does make me a happier and more productive person. Fortunately, I am not addicted. I stopped it for a few weeks and used Xanax instead. Now that is a mild drug.

It is funny that the indian company I order Ambien from will give me an order no questions asked. "We will give all you want" Who knows what kind of operation they are running over there.

Hello again. It is good that you have looked into seeing a psychiatrist. You may find something that works very well for you, and safely. I wish you the best.