Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

Hi I am considering hypnotherapy to combat negative and fearful

Hi
I am considering hypnotherapy to combat negative and fearful thoughts
in particular thoughts about men in general, i believe that a fear of men is preventing me successful weightloss. As a young child - eldest of 5 girls - my dad often warned me of the dangers of men. if i was attractive they would rape me if ugly they would ignore me if weak they would beat me i am now 31 morbidly obese and if i imagine myself thin in a public place with both men and women around i get anxious. i am married - out of a fear of being alone - my husband likes to boss me around but has never been aggressive to me, i also have 2 young sons and i am concerned about how this fear could taint my relationship with them as they get bigger and grow into men.
i believe changing these thoughts and fears would be beneficial however i am unsure how to go about it and wondered if hypnosis might be an effective tool in this situation?
thankyou for your time
Colleen
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure if hypnosis would be the answer but I can tell you that a therapist who uses cognitive behavioral approach to treating patients would be helpful to you. It is obvious that you have some distorted views of men that it is interfering in your relationships. A CBT therapist helps to uncover these distorted thoughts and works to promote a healthier view of the world. I would start there and see if it is not beneficial to you.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist.