Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
35302356

I HAVE GIVEN MY 7 YEAR OLD AN UNUSUAL NAME AND I THINK HE DOSENT

I HAVE GIVEN MY 7 YEAR OLD AN UNUSUAL NAME AND I THINK HE DOSENT LIKE IT. IS IT OK TO CHANGE HIS NAME AT THIS AGE WITHOUT DAMAGING HIM

Hello and thank you for contacting us.

If your son has expressed intense dislike about his name and you both agree that it is because it is unusual and/or unattractive in some way, then I can't see why not change it. I would not assume that this may cause any psychological problems regarding his identity if the reasons are valid. Maybe you could chose something close to the original name or use the new name as a nick name for a while before it becomes official so it could give him some time to adjust to it.

I hope this helps

All the best

Mina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

for mina

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a little upset too because when we gave him the name Tadgh (a variation of Tadhg) we did because we liked the spelling and the name is XXXXX XXXXX some people in Ireland but not a lot. The thing is we have been informed it is wrong. I am very upset and don't know what to do as i dont want him to go through life with a wrong spelling

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Have i missed your answer

Sorry for the delay but I had to see one of my patients.

Now, I understand how you feel but this should really be taken as an innocent mistake. No reason to beat yourself up for it. You could either correct the spelling to Tadhg which would have no effect what so ever to anyone, or change the name altogether if your son dislikes it. If you do not feel that you need to change the name Tadhg maybe you can leave it as it is and call him Tad. At the end he will decide how he wants his friends to call him and this change can happen any time in his life. If he doesn't mind about his name, just correct the spelling. Nowadays, people can have all sorts of unusual names and some of them even think that this adds some uniqueness to the person.

I hope this helps

Mina