Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults

HI, I have a child who will be 5 in December, he is very tall

HI, I have a child who will be 5 in December, he is very tall for his age and they way I describe him is like Bambie, I believe he is fine and has to grow into his body and is immature for his age, my concern is he can be easily stimulated at times and gets very excited, if this happens its almost impossible to bring him down without shouting or holding or something as he just kind of gets out of control I guess.
My difficulty is my husband makes comments to me like ADHD child or Autistic so I am now worried about this slightly? he attends nursery so I would hope they would have picked it up what do you think slightly worried parent
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Does his teacher say anything about your son?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No at first she thought he was clumsy but we discovered he needed glasses, I am also a psychiatric nurse so a litte knowledge is dangerous I guess
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
I noticed that you live in UK. Do you like to speak to UK expert?
Expert:  Mina replied 6 years ago.

I am a Clinical psychologist in UK and Dr Olsen thought that I might be of help with your question.

For a child to be diagnosed as Autistic, he/she needs to meet certain criteria and present with impairments in social interaction and communication and demonstrate other repetitive or odd behaviors. I have attached a link for you to read the criteria in more details

Also, for the diangosis of ADHD a child would need to show persistent difficulty in concentration and focus and be overly active in general, fidgety and showing some difficulty completing tasks.

What you are describing, this overexcitment could be common in some children but depending on the severity and frequency of it may indicate some difficulty in controlling his impulses.

I would suggest that you speak to the school and check if this behaviour is displayed there and on what occasions. Also read the criteria for Autism and ADHD. If you feel that he presents with some of these difficulties then you need to visit his GP and suggest a referral to your local Child Developement Service. Some boroughs/PCTs have their own separate service for children under 5-6 and other PCTs see all age children under CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health service). Your GP would know where to refer him if this is needed for further assessment.

This behaviour would need some monitoring and if you think that it becomes a problem then you would need to see a Psychologist to learn how to help him identify his feelings of being calm and being overexcited, learn how to apply boundaries for this behaviour while at the same time introduce a reward system and positive reinforcement.

I hope this helps

All the best.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

For Mina,

Thank you I have read all the stuff for ADHD and Autism and I really do not believe that he fits into any of these criteria, He very rarely acts like this at school and when he does its usually with younger nursery children. There is no trigger or pattern it just seems to be if the younger children are doing silly things then so does he but he seems to get to a point (sometime) when its like he switches off and no matter what I say to him he keeps going and it results in me shouting or just holding him and then he stops. I really do think it looks worse due to his height he is only 4 still at nursery school and wearing size 6-7 clothes and a size 1 foot. He can ride a big bike without stabilisers enjoys shows and the cinema and loves stories, he is good at sharing and is very aware of his peers feelings, However he does seem to be easily manipulated and reacts to the environment around him ie if younger children are being silly then so will he if the older ones play football and chat etc so will he, but also if an older child tells him to do something he would do it even though he knows its naughty.

I am hoping this is just normal development for his age? I have deferred him to start school next year in hope that he is emotionally ready, oh he also gets very upset if he hurts himself. like I say he seems more immature more like children around 6 months younger

Expert:  Mina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for that. What you are describing is not concerning. He seems to adjust to the age of the people that surround him and this could be normal. He may have some slightly delayed social skills as you have picked up but It is very early to say if this will develop into a difficulty. He may also be a bit confused with his appearance (height) as he may seem different to other children and he may not fully understand where he belongs. So he may be trying to adjust and experiment.

He would need to interact with other children so it would be very important for him since he is not going to school this year to continue having daily activities with other children. He needs to also be praised and positively reinforced and start to detach from you slowly so he prepares for school next year.

Hope this helps a bit more.

All the best

Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience: Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults