Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

Hi Doctor, Exposed frequently to social and performance situations

Hi Doctor,
Exposed frequently to social and performance situations in my work (speeches, interviews, meetings, etc…), I noticed an increasing fear that has developed year after year. It reaches the point now to truly embarrass me and interfere significantly with my professional growth.
I am conscious that this fear is not rational, but I cannot control it. Based on my readings on internet, and the symptoms associated to my fear (shaky voice, sweating, red face, etc…), I understand to be likely suffering from a social anxiety disorder.
There are apparently solutions out there for me, such as therapy and medication. The problem is that I am living on a small island of Caribbean, with no access to these solutions.
Are there specialists in US that I can consult remotely ? How could I get in touch with them ?
Any other suggestion welcome !
Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. What you are describing sounds like you may be experiencing anxiety. If this is the case, you are not alone. Millions of people (an estimated 15% of the population) suffer from devastating and constant anxiety that severely affects their lives, sometimes resulting in living in highly restricted ways. These people experience panic attacks, phobias, extreme shyness, obsessive thoughts, and compulsive behaviors. The feeling of anxiety is a constant and dominating force that disrupts their lives. Some become prisoners in their own homes, unable to leave the home, work, drive, or visit the grocery store. For these people, anxiety is much more than just an occasional wave of apprehension.

Common symptoms of panic include:

• Racing or pounding heart
  • Trembling
  • Sweaty palms
  • Feelings of terror
  • Chest pains/heaviness in chest
  • Dizziness and lightheadedness
  • Fear of dying
  • Fear of going crazy
  • Fear of losing control
  • Feeling unable to catch breath
  • Tingling hands, feet, legs, arms

Panic attacks can be very frightening. Many people end up in the emergency room due to thinking they are having a heart attack when it is really a panic attack. Fear of public speaking and/or social situations is also common with anxiety.

Panic and anxiety generally respond well to therapy and medication. You do not have to go through this alone. Even if you do not have professionals available in your area, you could try which offers a worldwide therapy service to those who are unable to access professionals locally or who prefer online help.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.