MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

whats the difference between a Board Certified Psychiatrist

Customer Question

what's the difference between a Board Certified Psychiatrist and one who is not?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Pamela, LCSW replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

A psychiatrist who has passed his/her educational and examination requirements may seek certification from the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology ( ABPN). Board certified Psychiatrists have achieved the highest level of education and training possible in the field of psychiatry.
In order to become board certified, psychiatrists must have an unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States and pass both written and oral examinations given by the board.
This does not mean that psychiatrists that are not board certified are not qualified to practice.

I hope this is helpful.

Pamela, MSW

Please press accept so that your expert will receive credit for this response.
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am a Board-certified psychiatrist.
Board-certified psychiatrists are not required to have any training above/beyond that of non-Board-certified psychiatrists. Generally speaking, the amount of training is the same, although given individuals (whether Board-certified or not) may have additional training, for whatever reason. I hope this helps.
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.