Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

qualitative psychology research

qualitative psychology research. I am looking for someone - preferable with experience in qualitative research to read my thesis and return comments and suggestions. It is approximately 12000 words.

I am willing to discuss additional payment.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Sarah : Hi there,
Sarah : Please could you tell me the title of your research and how much you are willing to pay for this task?
Sarah : Thanks, Sarah
Sarah : I am putting this question on Q and A instead of live chat as I see you are off line.
Sarah : Also, when do you need it return by? I would need to consider all of these answers before I can commit.
Sarah : Many thanks, Sarah
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

My research is titled 'Carer-mediated help-seeking and help-receiving for Australian Aboriginal children'

I'm not really sure how much would be standard for this type of work. I think $30 an hour for a maximum of 10 hours would be my maximum budget.

The thesis is due in approx. 2 weeks - Oct 8th so if you could return it by the beginning of next week - 4th Oct that would give me enough time to implement any changes.

What are your qualifications?

Thanks for responding!!!
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

my expertise is in Forensic Psychology, but I have written a thesis several times for my qualifications - MSc Psychology, MA Police Studies and MSc Criminal Psychology. I also used to lead the research meetings for the Prison Service here in England, assessing research proposals submitted on the grounds of ethics and usefulness to the Service. I have helped several student placements with thier thesis along the way.

However, you would need to make a judgment as to whether my lack of knowledge in Australia and the Aboriginal children would influence my ability to assist you. you would have to accept that anything you didn't tell me, I wouldn't know. Would that be a problem? If you feel you need someone more local, please do not feel bad by saying no to me - your thesis is the most important thing here. On the other hand, as I have no experience in this, I am totally unbiased and my view would be impartial.

I could spend all of Friday 1st reviewing your work and sending comments back. I am on Paypal so you could pay me half of the fee for my time before I sent the work back by email at a rate of $30 per hour, max 10 hours, and the other half of the fee afterwards when you have seen my work - would that be suitable for you? Please let me know. Then the sooner you can send it, the better. I cannot imagine that I would max out at 10 hours, but I suppose its possible. I know I certainly won't string it out for you. I guess there are limits to the changes you can make at this late stage - but I will do my best and you can take what you want from it.

Please let me know your thoughts, Best Wishes, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 9/27/2010 at 8:34 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have much experience conducting or reading qualitative research? My main concern is that my analysis is not up to par in terms of qualitative analysis. So knowing your experience in that area would be really helpful to me.

It is not a concern for me not knowing about Australian Aboriginals - as unfortunately, most Australians do not know much either and most things are pointed out explicitly in this thesis.

My main concern is the qualitative nature of my analysis. Do you have any experience there?
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

I have used qualitative research techniques when I have interviewed prisoners and staff in a prison, to find out their views on the establishment, several times, in several establishments. I haven't used statistics as it hasn't been necessary. I don't know if this would be enough for you.

With your work, I would imagine I would pull out the themes for the children's needs, and the themes that the carers discuss, weighting or scoring them perhaps upon how often they are mentioned or how important they are deemed to be (it's difficult to tell when I don't know how you have collected data). Have you used statistics for analysis? I would think the least that you need is some kind of tally. I would be commenting upon the consistencies between the two groups, the controversies and the gaps, suggesting how these could be investigated further perhaps through further research, or in the field, and how they could be taken forward to improve the system.

I won't be offended if this is not what you are after. Please let me know what you think. best wishes, Sarah
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that's perfect actually! I haven't used any statistics in my report as I only conducted thematic analysis not content analysis.

I'm so glad I found someone who could help me!!! :)

Great so, if you give me your paypal details I can deposit half the money - how much exactly?

Cheers,
And thanks in advance for your help!
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
When I described what I would imagine I would do, I meant if I had been in your position. I'm not sure that doing all of your stats for you is the same as "read my thesis, make comments and suggestions" which was what you first ask for. How have you pulled out your themes? Could you not do a tally of the issues that you have pulled out already, so that you at least have a grid or a table that shows how you have identified the main topics. Without this, i guess the markers may say that there is a chunk missing. I am happy to guide you and comment, but to do it for you feels a bit wrong for two reasons 1) it's your work and shouldn't be mine and 2) doing your stats and reading through and commenting would take more than 10 hours. Would you be willing to do the tally if I read it through for you and give you some suggestions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry my reply might have been a little confusing.

I never intended to conduct statistics on my data. This is a purely qualitative research project. I have completed data collection, analysis and write-up so I'm just looking for someone to comment on my thesis.

Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Oops, we are bit confused here between us. I am really happy to read, comment and make suggestions on your work. I understand it is finished and you are happy to make minor changes and additions between now and October 4th? I'm sorry, when you said you had no stats, I immediately assumed that you needed some, as qualitative data can incorporate tallies and number counts, if not long and complicated statistical tests. I might suggest that you put a tally in, but I am happy to comment on this when I read it. How about you pay me for 4 hours and then we take it from there? Im not sure how we arrange the payment as I don't really want to put my personal details on here. I'll look into it, Thanks, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 9/27/2010 at 9:07 PM EST
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
If you click on my name next to my icon, you will bring up my details. If you click on the little envelope called PM you can send me a private message. If you could send your email address than I can request the cash through Paypal. Hope this is OK, not sure how else to do this without putting our personal details up for all the world to see. I am going to bed now as it is 10.10pm in England. I see it is about 6am in Australia! Have a fab day, will request money tomorrow, best wishes, Sarah
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fantastic! I will do that now. Cheers!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't find the PM envelope! I'm not sure of another way to send you my email address without broadcasting it...
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Click on the blue name next to my photograph below - Sarah - you should get a box with all of my details on. In the blue rectangle at the top, there is the word VERIFIED in green - just to the right of that is a tiny envelope with the letters PM on it, so if you click that, you are able to send me a private message. Let me know if you ant find it again. Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 9/28/2010 at 6:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry...I've triple checked and there's no envelope there
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
No worries, it must be something that the experts can see and the customers can't. Sorry, I didn't realise that. I will have to think about what to do now, I am sure there must be a way. I'll get back to you soon, hopeful before you are off to bed! It's 9.10 am here. I love how the time changes across the world. Speak soon, Sarah
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, I am going to have to ask for guidance from the site staff on this, and having looked at the rules and regulations again that both you and I have signed up to by using the site is that no professional relations will be created. I don't know if what we are trying to arrange is against this, but I will obviously let you know as soon as I can. I would be very disappointed if we can't, as I was looking forward to doing this and I have seen such questions being posted before. I don't want to let you down, but I am obviously bound by the rules. Speak soon, Sarah
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that. Hopefully we can do it but it's ok if we can't - don't feel as though you're letting me down :)

I hope to hear from you soon!
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
It seems that to arrange anything outside of the site is not allowed. I am wondering if you would prefer to post your work on the site and pay the extra through the bonus option that is open to all customers? If you do this, please let me know when you will post it and put my name first so I can pick it up. I don't know how you would feel about having your work on the site? Maybe you could just send the results, discussion and conclusions? It's up to you - I know this wasn't what you were thinking of originally. Please let me know either way. Best Wishes, Sarah
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah ... um to be honest I think I would feel a little bit uncomfortable that. Scientific literature is proprietary and I don't think I'd feel comfortable with people being able to read it online.

Thanks so much though. It's a shame we couldn't do it.

Cheers
Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.
It is a shame, I was looking forward to it. I can so understand that you don't want your work on line though. I wish you the very best with your work, I hope you do well. I know this has been a fruitless exercise for you now, but I have spent some time on it with you - if you would be happy to pay for my time, I would be most appreciative. You can do this by pressing the 'accept' button. If you could find a few moments to leave some feedback, that would be great too. All the best, Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.