Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

Im not finding the right test for me. I have a very serious

I'm not finding the right test for me. I have a very serious problem with being stressed out without good cause. I can not handle the least bit of stress. New situations, surprises. Any new small change freaks me out.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

JACUSTOMER-ivhhmfk5- :

Hello. This feels a little silly. :)

Lori Gephart :

I am sorry that this feels uncomfortable. I will be with you in just a moment.

JACUSTOMER-ivhhmfk5- :

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. The symptoms that you are describing suggest the possibility that this may be in part anxiety. If this is the case, you are not alone. Millions of people (an estimated 15% of the population) suffer from devastating and constant anxiety that severely affects their lives, sometimes resulting in living in highly restricted ways. These people experience panic attacks, phobias, extreme shyness, obsessive thoughts, and compulsive behaviors. The feeling of anxiety is a constant and dominating force that disrupts their lives. Some become prisoners in their own homes, unable to leave the home, work, drive, or visit the grocery store. For these people, anxiety is much more than just an occasional wave of apprehension.

Common symptoms of panic include:

• Racing or pounding heart

• Trembling

• Sweaty palms

• Feelings of terror

• Chest pains/heaviness in chest

Dizziness and lightheadedness

• Fear of dying

• Fear of going crazy

• Fear of losing control

• Feeling unable to catch breath

• Tingling hands, feet, legs, arms

Generalized anxiety disorder is quite common, affecting an estimated 3 to 4% of the population. This disorder fills a person’s life with worry, anxiety, and fear. People who have this disorder are always thinking and dwelling on the “what ifs” of every situation. It feels like there is no way out of the vicious cycle of anxiety and worry. The person often becomes depressed about life and their inability to stop worrying.

People who have generalized anxiety usually do not avoid situations, and they don’t generally have panic attacks. They can become incapacitated by an inability to shut the mind off, and are overcome with feelings of worry, dread, fatigue, and a loss of interest in life. The person usually realizes these feelings are irrational, but the feelings are also very real. The person’s mood can change from day to day, or even hour to hour. Feelings of anxiety and mood swings become a pattern that severely disrupts the quality of life.

People with generalized anxiety disorder often have physical symptoms including headaches, irritability, frustration, trembling, inability to concentrate, and sleep disturbances. They may also have symptoms of social phobia and panic disorder.

Treatment Options

Most people who suffer from anxiety disorders begin to feel better when they receive the proper treatment. In order to receive the correct treatment, you must first receive a proper diagnosis. Be careful about self diagnosis as this can often be misleading. The first step is to schedule an appointment with a psychologist or therapist for an evaluation. While a treatment plan must be specifically designed for each individual, generally a combination of individual therapy, often in conjunction with medication can be quite effective. Even without insurance, you should be able to receive treatment. Most areas have mental health treatment available on a sliding scale basis. You might try looking in your local yellow pages for a listing of mental health agencies that may either be able to offer affordable counseling or refer you to someone in your area who may be able to help. Writing can be very helpful to put things into balance - whether it is in the form of just writing whatever comes to mind, or listing the issues and small steps to work on them. Asking for help from support people in your life can also be helpful.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

JACUSTOMER-ivhhmfk5- :

Thank you.