Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Dear sirs, I have been taking Lexapro 5mg per day and Lexotan

Dear sirs,

I have been taking Lexapro 5mg per day and Lexotan 1.5mg per day for nearly 2 years now but I would like to come off them both. I tried to come off them about 6 months ago with no side effects but my anxiety came back with 2 months as bad as it was before. I have done some research and came across a product called Seredyn, it's main ingredients are herbs such as St Johns Wort, Kava etc. Do you know anything about this product and is it safe to start it while I am coming off my medication?

Kind regards

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Lexapro should be stopped slowly to avoid side affects, although perhaps in your case you were able to stop without the typical effects.

St. John's Wort is contraindicated with Lexapro and should not be taken at the same time without the risk of adverse reactions, possibly serious.

Have you ever tried:

• talk therapy to help with your anxiety
  • physician prescribed benzodiazepines, particulary AS NEEDED rather than a daily dose. If panic attacks are your problem, benzos such as Xanax, can stop them cold, if you feel them coming on. Xanax can be abused, but if used prudently, can be very helpful, but it can be addictive and harmful if overused.
  • when having anxiety attacks, deep breathing and positive self-talk ("its just a panic attack and will be over in a few minutes; you're not going to die!") This may sound silly when you read it, but it actually works for many people.
Seradyn does not contain St. John's Wort or Kava Kava. It does, however, contain herbs that have been shown to reduce anxiety, namely: Passion Flower, Green Tea Extract, and Valerian, plus magnesium taurinate and niacinimide.

I have not seen any indications that this mixture will react with the Lexapro. If there is a variety with St. John's Wort in it, however (and I don't think there is), then do NOT take it with Lexapro.

I hope this information helps you.

Best wishes,

Elliott Sewell, Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)