Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
45699345

Hello i am a man of fourty five years of age, how can i overcome

Hello i am a man of fourty five years of age, how can i overcome the stares and the general antisocial feelings i get as a result of having rosacea and facial flushing thanks paul.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. The symptoms that you are describing are common for sufferers of rosacea. It can be difficult to have the physical signs of your condition plainly seen by all. However, it is important for you to remember that you are much more than your skin. While you may at times get stares from others due to the flushing, there may also be many times when your anxiety and worry over your condition may lead you to imagine that people are staring or rejecting you when they may not be. Your reactions to this may cause you to pull away from people and further make things worse.

I would encourage you to begin to think about the advice you might give to someone else in your condition. You might encourage yourself to think about how much time people typically spend thinking about others instead of themselves. Most people worry much more about themselves and may not be spending much time at all thinking of your flushing. Also, the more confident and comfortable someone is with themselves, the more they come across that way to someone else, despite any physical symptoms. A smile is something that typically draws others to you. Smiling in the midst of the flushing will help to decrease your discomfort and put others at ease.

Part of this is working on acceptance, both of yourself and of your condition. The more you can accept, the less you will need to fight against it and the less power you will give to others to judge you. Of course there will always be some people in the world who are critical and unaccepting of whatever issues someone might have. You can choose to not give these people the power to hurt you. You may also want to consider individual therapy if you feel that it would be helpful to get some support and further tools to cope with this challenging condition. You may find the following website helpful as well: http://rosacea-support.org/anxiety-depression-and-being-obsessed.html

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Customer :

Thanks for your answer, it will be a great help to me with the things you have said, however i was just thinking that i become very nervous which is a symtom of rosacea, and that is the thing that stops me from acting the way you describe,if you could give me some advice on that then i think i could defete this thing thanks paul.

Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.