Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

Can bipolar II cause physical pain other than fatigue, weakness,

Customer Question

Can bipolar II cause physical pain other than fatigue, weakness, lethargy? More like back pain, nausea, different kinds of headaches, muscle weakness, wake up one morning with arthritic symptoms in all 10 toes that always hurt at varied degrees of severity, muscle spasms, entire body pain except chest pain, but instances where chest hurts to breathe with bronchial tubes wide open, plenty of air flow and no wheezing. Pain is just at about the sternum, sleepiness and insomnia at the same time. incidents can last minutes or days. weakness in legs so you can't stand for very long. I have had bipolar II for a long time but I have never had to deal with this before.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

Physical pain and weakness/lethargy are very common symptoms of depression (when you're in your low stage during the bipolar disorder)

In some cases as a last resort, some psychiatrists prescribe Adderalle to the client to help with the psycho motor retardation.

Other things you would like to check are your thyroid function and vitamin D level and iron by a blood panel test.

Also, if you have not had a sleep study specifically, you may consider having one. Circadian disturbance can make you feel very tired/exhausted. Weekend immune system can cause you to feel more pain and be prone to illness.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Describe physical pain, why it comes and goes for different durations of time, sometime severe, sometimes not with no stimulus that would create high levels of anxiety. Had the Circadian therapy twice. Have dealt with sleep disturbance for many years. All this other stuff started in January and June 1st the bottom fell out and everything is picking up speed.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

It can come and go (you feel as though you don't even have energy to lift your coffee cup to your lips) You may feel pain in your back, neck, and your legs and arm may feel very weak like if you have Mono or the flue. You may have a throbbing headache. You do not have to be anxious during this experience. You could have just woken up and feel it.

Did your sleep study confirm if you have the disorder or not? It can mimic the symptoms of depression if you have it.

Now, you would most likely feel this way when you're in your depressed stage.

What had helped me is supplementing with vitamin D, L-carnitine, amino acids complex, use of blue spectrum LED light and you may also check truehope.com

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am awaken at 4:00 a.m. out of a dead sleep from pain from head to toe - literally I know depressed bipolar and this just doesn't seem to fit. No tears, no crushing chest pain like your last friend died, can have manic moments that are not out of control. No laying in bed unable to move or will to live or feelings of depression or despair. Most times, I feel pretty good emotionally. I have a light for SAD little to much stimulus, don't believe in l-carnitine, tried that for a while, am on HRT, according to gyn that takes care of the vitamin D needs plus the milk in the morning. Not familiar with amino acids

For sleep study first doctor was an M.D. nothing physical was interrupting my sleep. Second doctor was a Ph.D. bozo that ripped me off with all his computer gadgets and when I told him to hit the road, he suggested I try melatonin that worked for a while. I even take Requip for restless legs. In answer to your question about sleep study confirming disorder or not, that would be a no on anything.

I have more than just a throbbing headache. I get headaches that include my whole head, neck and shoulders, head and jaw and the javelin through the temples.

I occasionally have jaw pain or my teeth hurt.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.
You would definately want a real sleep study conducted at a sleep center (it is usually conducted by a neuroligst) to at least rule it out as a possibility. The pain can always can be caused by something else of course.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You have to go to sleep to have a sleep study. I am unable to fall asleep just anywhere and what possibility are we ruling out?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.
You're ruling out that the pain/fatigue are caused by a sleep disorder vs. the bipolar/mood disorder. If it is a sleep disorder causing it (they would separately treat that condition)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Answer