Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

is it normal for little girls (2 & 5) to play with their privates

is it normal for little girls (2 & 5) to play with their privates to the point of causing infection because of rubbing by rocking back and forth while sitting...if it is why does it happen.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hello Thank you for bringing your question on JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Did two of them get infection from the play?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The five year old has been seen numerous times for yeast infection and recently for kidney infection (follow up ultra sound (?) on Monday).

The two year old has recently been potty trained and her mommy has to constantly remind her to stop playing with herself (no infections).

Expert:  Sarah replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question about these two girls. I would like to break down your question into two sections, the first answer would be that it is natural for young children to play with their private parts, and secondly, it not normal (usual) for this to cause infection. Children play with their parts in order to investigate their bodies, and they do so often when they are naked simply because they spend so much time with their bodies covered in clothes and also because it feels nice to them. This is not to be confused with sexuality - small children do not understand that their private parts are sexual (as they aren't as a child unless sexuality is introduced through abuse) and they simply find that as it feels nice, they do it more often. Constantly reminding a child not to play with their parts can be detrimental as the child may come to believe that touching themselves is wrong or naughty, which can lead to issues with sexual relationships later in life. I find it useful to say to my children 'please don't do that whilst other people are present' which suggests that it is ok when they are alone.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX repeated rubbing should not cause infection, but may cause abrasion, which should then be kept clean until healed. The five year old should be kept in contact with the doctor in order to treat this yeast infection. I am not a doctor, but it may be possible for a child to pick up an infection at birth if the mother is carrying an infection. Perhaps the doctor will find something significant on Monday. Keep the child's nails short and clean, ensure good hygiene - the doctor may be able to suggest something to put in the child's bath. Make absolutely sure that the child is not being interfered with by an adult (I am certainly not suggesting that they are, but it should be considered). But the answer to your question is no, the infection should not be caused by rubbing. Best Wishes, best of luck on Monday, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 9/11/2010 at 8:09 PM EST
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.