Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

I have a daughter who was diagnosed as bipolar. today she

I have a daughter who was diagnosed as bipolar. today she had a bad tempertantrum, she broke lots of home ornaments and made holes on the walls my older son called the police and cuffed her and controlled her, they then told her to step out and uncuffed her when she calmed down. when she goes out with her friends some times she smokes mariguana she says "I feel better and relaxed when I smoke mariguana". She also has mood swings, some times she is depressed and does not want to go to school she says that she feels ugly and fat and she is not fat nor ugly. She is receiving phsycological therapy from henderson mental health center. she was receiving medication prosac and seraquil she was always sleepy she say she couldn't think so she stopped taking her medication.she is 17 yrs old
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

Customer :

Hi, my name isXXXXX of child

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your daughter. Bipolar disorder can be a very difficult condition. You may find the following link helpful in understanding this condition: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml

I am glad to hear that your daughter is receiving psychological treatment since a combination of medication and therapy is essential for this disorder. Your daughter's drug use is not helping her situation, despite what she says and her treatment team should be aware of these behaviors, as well as the incident that happened today. I would encourage you to continue to set boundaries and consequences for her actions, such as you did today with the police being called as she needs to know that there are consequences for her actions.

Is there a particular question that you had?

Customer :

She also has been disrispectfull toward us and she does not pay attention to what we tell her or when we punish her. we have no way to make her obey. Is there any way or palce where we can send her like a bootcamp or somewhere?

Lori Gephart :

The first step may be to see if she is eligible for a partial program. This is a partial hospitalization program that meets for several hours a day on several days a week. Here she would receive intensive treatment, and be out of the home more to give you a break from the stress. You could talk with her therapist about this. A bootcamp would likely not provide the type of treatment that she needs. If she threatens harm to herself or anyone else, then she may need to be hospitalized. One way to deal with her when she disobeys is to punish with taking away privileges. I hope this is helpful.

Customer :

she won't listen and she does whatever she wants and she does not care about privleges.

Lori Gephart :

This is important to communicate to her psychologist and psychiatrist that her behavior is this out of control. They may want to increase her level of treatment due to this. However, there may be some privileges that you can control, such as cell phone, computer, television, car or rides, etc.

Customer :

ok, thanks!

Lori Gephart :

You are very welcome. I wish you the best.

Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.