Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

My 8 yr old daughter keeps cutting her hair. ive removed scissors

My 8 yr old daughter keeps cutting her hair. ive removed scissors from her room, bathroom etc but now shes doing it at school. what should i do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

JACUSTOMER-1r5lbb10- :

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your daughter. I am wondering if she is cutting her hair only, or if she is also pulling out the hair as well. I certainly cannot diagnose her without seeing her, however it is possible that she may be experiencing an impulse control disorder known as Trichotillomania in which the individual has irresistible urges to pull hair from anywhere on the body including scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or other places. The behavior of hair pulling generally relieves tension, even though the individual generally is aware that it is causing harm to them. Treatment typically involves therapy including habit reversal training, often combined with medication, typically antidepressants (SSRIs). Treatment with a psychologist and psychiatrist would be highly recommended. You may find the following link helpful:

It would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with a child psychologist to explore the source of this behavior. The sooner that you seek treatment for a child, typically the easier it is to see improvement. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

JACUSTOMER-1r5lbb10- :

my daughter just told me she pulls her hair out too, she doesnt realize shes doing it

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for clarifying. I would definitely encourage you to schedule an appointment with a child psychologist for her. Be sure to find someone who has experience in trichotillomania. This should be very helpful for her. I wish you the best. Please let me know if I can clarify further.