Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

My father in law does not wash hardly ever. He sits in his

My father in law does not wash hardly ever. He sits in his house all day and smokes and sleeps, everyday. This is his daily routine: sleep, smoke, eat, sleep. And he has bed odor because he will not bathe. He calls his wife and daughter 50 times daily to talk about nothing and always asks why the wife will not come home. She wont come back because he treats her very badly and refuses to try and help the situation. He wants to sit in his filth and have his wife sit and watch him do it. He never wants to go out and he will not listen to change. He takes different meds for various things including bi polar. He complains he is always tired but will not go and try to fix it with a doctor. He is going to give his wife a heart attack and drive his daughter away. What actions can his wife and daughter take to fix this situation?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your father in law. Bipolar disorder can be a very difficult condition. You may find the following link helpful in understanding this condition: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml

The advice that you have been given is unfortunately correct. Unless your father in law is an imminent danger to himself or someone else, there is nothing you can do to force him to seek treatment. If he would make threats to harm himself or others, or if his situation deteriorates to the point where his health is imminently endangered by his behaviors, then they could contact authorities to have him hospitalized. However, it is important that his wife and daughter set the limits that they need to in order to safeguard their emotional health. They have the right to limit contact, or set limits on what would be required in order for them to visit, etc. The only way that he might choose to get help or to change behaviors is if no one enables him by giving in and participating in these behaviors.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.