Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

I dont know if I need to see a doctor. I feel stressed and

I don't know if I need to see a doctor. I feel stressed and unhappy and I keep trying to be happy, but I just can't figure out how.
Chat Conversation Started
Lori Gephart :

Hello, I'm happy to talk with you. I am working on your question now.

JACUSTOMER-bexpv2v3- :

Are you there?

Lori Gephart :

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are experiencing. I would certainly encourage you to seek an appropriate diagnosis for your symptoms. Feelings of stress, unhappiness and lack of pleasure in activities that you once enjoyed are suggestive of a possible depression. Depression can often contribute to problems in functioning. A good idea is to have a physical, including blood work to rule out a thyroid condition or other medical problem that may be contributing to your mood. If there are no medical problems then seeing a psychologist to find out if you are experiencing depression or some other problem would be important. The psychologist will then be able to work with you to develop a treatment plan to help you to overcome the problems that you are experiencing.

If indeed you are depressed, therapy can be very effective to help you to learn to feel your feelings in a safe way and develop tools to improve your mood. Medication may or may not be needed and can be discussed with your therapist. Other tools such as exercise, eating healthy, structuring your days with some social interaction, meditation, volunteering and working can all be quite helpful. Sometimes the pain of feeling the way you do can be a good motivator to help you to do something about the problem and find out what is wrong. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.

JACUSTOMER-bexpv2v3- :

I just had a physical yesterday and she didn't say anything about having a thyroid condition but she said I may be anemic.

Lori Gephart :

I'm glad to hear that you have taken the step to get a physical. Anemia can certainly contribute to the symptoms that you are describing. Blood work would be needed to rule out a thyroid condition. Did your doctor recommend anything to treat the anemia?

JACUSTOMER-bexpv2v3- :

She told me to get blood work, but I haven't done that yet that. She recommended that I eat healthier and exercise more and take a mulitvitamin, but I'm not sure if that is just general recommendations.

Lori Gephart :

Definitely get the blood work done. This will help to rule out any other conditions. Eating healthy, exercising and a multivitamin are all very good recommendations no matter what is causing your symptoms. I would encourage you to consider an evaluation with a psychologist either now or once you have received the results of your blood work. You deserve to be able to ejoy your life and feel happy again. You don't have to go through this alone. Psychologists are there to help you and support you in reaching your goals.