MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

I have a son (32 yrs of age) who was diagnosed as being bi-polar

I have a son (32 yrs of age) who was diagnosed as being bi-polar not to long ago. I'm a little confused as to why he was prescribed so many medications with, what seems to me, a high dosage. He's on Seroquel/200mg, divalproex soder/250 mg, lithium carbonate /300mg and hydroxyzine pam/25 mg anxiety
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 6 years ago.
I am a psychiatrist. Without having personally assessed your son, I cannot address why he is on these medications, but I can say that bipolar disorder is often difficult to regulate. Also, a good psychiatrist, like any other good physician, will try to tailor a medication regimen to a specific patient's needs. It is usually preferable to simply a medication regimen as much as possible. Sometimes it is not possible to prioritize that, especially early on in the treatment when it is unclear what will work best for a given person.
Regarding the doses of his medications, these are actually pretty low doses of each of these respective medications. For example, the normal starting dose for Depakote in an adult is 250 mg three times daily. Often it is used at doses of 1,250-1,500mg per day (or more) when it is used by itself for bipolar disorder. Likewise, lithium is often started at 300mg twice daily for bipolar disorder. 200mg of Seroquel is also at a relatively low dose; the FDA-approved maximum dose is 800mg. The Vistaril, too, is at a low dose; 25 mg is the smallest size in which it is generally prescribed. I hope this helps.