Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
44579284

How can I cure my fear of frogs They seem to love my car and

Customer Question

How can I cure my fear of frogs? They seem to love my car and get in the fender wells, in my trunk, in the engine. When I open the door, I can sometimes see them in the fender wells, or when I am driving they will come out of the engine and onto the windshield. I am so afraid that one will get into my car and I will have an accident. My husband thinks this is silly but my fear is so real.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I believe I can be of help to you with this issue..and I would like reassure you that your fear of frogs is very real and not silly.. And there is hope by way of overcoming it.
But it will require the services of a trained therapist who works with a technique called:
'Systematic desensitization' it is the clinical application of counter-conditioning principles in order to remove a phobic or extreme fear ( in your case frogs) reaction from an individual .. and it is based on 'Fear Hierarchies and muscle Relaxation' and it works.. . like this

Features of systematic desensitization include the actual creation of a fear hierarchy by you ( the subject) and the learning of deep muscle relaxation techniques. A fear hierarchy is a list created by you ( if there are any other phobias present that you have aside from frogs)..e.g spiders..etc in conjunction with a therapist detailing the feared situations from least feared to most feared...i.e.on a 1-10 scale

Just to give you an example, a person with a fear of snakes may have a fear hierarchy that starts with seeing a picture of snake in a book triggering the lowest level of fear

( 1)leading up to being in physical contact with a snake as being the most feared situation. being (10)..and during this re-exposure process to your fear of frogs you become less fearful ..thus becoming de-sensitized in the process;

Its a remarkable technique to use and it really works usually most people only need one or two sessions to overcome their fear ( s)
As far as deep muscle relaxation techniques go they are used in combination with desensitizing and is that by way of deep breathing releasing the tension in muscle groups. In some forms of deep muscle relaxation, muscles may first be tensed in order to gain maximum benefit from the relaxing of the muscles. While in a state of relaxation, you are taken through elements of the fear hierarchy..in your case ( frogs) though desensitization may be effective regardless of whether deep muscle relaxation is used.I do hope this has been of help to you ..if so please accept my response if you have anymore queries please don't hesitate to reply..otherwise I wish you well in your therapy should you decide to go ahead with it.
blessings
Karen
Hello, just a follow up to see if you are satisfied with my response towards your fear of frogs...and upon checking my response back to you I also noted that the page has configured differently..( a computer cliché I'm afraid and apologize for that sometimes it just happens on th odd occasion)..
Please don't hesitate to reply otherwise please accept my answer...
best wishes
karen