Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

22 year old graduate (prospective teacher) son who treats me

Customer Question

22 year old graduate (prospective teacher) son who treats me like the dogs behind. Lost twin brother neo natal and then daddy when 9. Please help......
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

What questions would you like assistance with?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Feel my son needs 'tough love' now because he has been pretty dreadful at home to raise and challenged all space with his two sisters (one in final year of university) and youngest trying to get grades to go there. Just find it so awful to be so horrible when his dad would have done it instantaniously. Courage dwindling after 14 years as single parent of 3 brilliant kids and 3 years as abused wife of second husband. No longer trust my own instincts. But love my son dearly.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

You would do right to set limits. Better now then never.

No one should mistreat another. If he depends on you for anything, then yes, tough love is better than enabling further.

Your son may be sensing your fragility and taking advantage of you. If you continue to go along the same way, he will remain the same.

If you feel overwhelmed and stressed out, getting some supportive counseling for the time being.

Not sure what help could be offered on line (but there are free on line support groups as well) If you were wondering if you're the right thing- you're on the right path - you need to find a solution and a way to deal with what is going on. You would also need to surround yourself with positive supportive individuals. Meanwhile, just deal with one day at time.