Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I have a child with clear ADHD and dyspraxia but no diagnosis

I have a child with clear ADHD and dyspraxia but no diagnosis at present (and two with ASD so it seems a genetic fault). The child with ADHD has a very short memory- maybe two minutes at age 9- and it makes tasks almost impossible: he has forgotten what he went to do before he got there, and what he was told at school (without a diagnosis school will not implement link books or notes). Have you any tips of how I could work to expand these skills please?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello Thank you for bringing your question on JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your son's situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer a best answer. Is he receiving any treatment for his ADHD?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, school [icked up on it but he does not meet thier criteria for a referral to assessment. I have found someone who can assess privately (my University teacher) but that won't be until the New Year. However, we start a new term tomorrow and I am eager that this term he starts to actually manage to achieve with his school work and make some headway.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.

Comprehensive treatment for ADHD and Dyspraxia consist of 1. Parent’s involvement – education for family on ADHD and Dyslexia, linking family to community resource, and support group for family; 2. Medication/CNS stimulants - Methylphenidate (Ritalin); 3. Behavioral and Cognitive-Behavioral interventions – Classroom management (teacher-administered behavioral treatments) by classroom teacher, AND Positive reinforcement by teacher and parents; 4. Parent Training (Behavioral parent management) includes 1) Educate the parents about ADHD, 2) develop a list of specific target behaviors. 3) develop a reward system. 4) implement the reward system. 5) involve teacher through the daily report card. 6) teach the family to generalize the procedures to out-of-home situations.

You can continue to help his develop attention, organization,
and task completion skills. It is going to be an ongoing effort and development of system and routines.
You may also clear away distractions.
You may use a reward system to reinforce his good performance. Importantly, he has to understand the reward system and be motivated to do so.
I know it may be time consuming, but you may have to repeat instruction and direction for him twice or three times... Just be patient and supportive.

You may also check resources at
National Resource Center on AD/HD.
(Website address: )