Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

I have a problem concerning my weight, and trying to loose

Customer Question

I have a problem concerning my weight, and trying to loose my excess. I admit that I am bulimic, I am a compulsive over eater and I go for periods without eating at all. I have gone to Overeaters Anonymous, I have also gone through AA, trying to learn and relearn the 12 steps, but these things aren't working for me. I have even tried counseling for this abnormal eating behavior, but I just don't know what to do anymore. My neck is swollen, I feel like crap, I'm tired all the time. My doctor doesn't know. I've have been successfully loosing weight for the past 18 months, going from 348 lbs, now down to 250. 2 weeks ago I was 237. I stress too much about my weight. I just want to remain a normal size. My resting heart rate is 53 bpm, I exercise but not in a bad way. BUT, I have uncontrollable desires to get rid of the food that enters my body, even if I KNOW it's a healthy food and good for me. I ate at mcdonalds today. I haven't done that for some time. The first thing I wanted to do and did was purge that nasty burger out of me. I don't want to do this anymore. I don't know who to talk to, I don't really want to talk to anyone, but do want this to stop. I just want to eat like a normal person. I want to loose the weight in a better way. I'm tired of juggling my health over the compulsion to not be obese.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am so very sorry to hear what you are struggling about. I could see that you have tried so many different approaches. You clearly know what you need to do so that isn't the issue --- for you to learn what you need to do. I have over time treated quite a few people like you who have tried everything --- like you. The success I have had with those people who did enter analysis with me was for us to get at the root of their problems --- in fact we hardly talked about the eating issue but dealing with the unconscious issues that were interfering in these people's lives made the eating disorder disappear. For some, long finished treatment, they never binged or purged again, didn't go on crazy diets --- the eating disorder problem disappeared and they have moved on to an otherwise happy life.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me know when you are back on so we may chat.

Customer :

I Do believe that I have ptsd, in various forms. I have some major life changing things going on right now.

Customer :

I'm in the middle of a divorce, I am a single mother, I am also a full time student. This is my 2nd divorce.

Customer :

I have a big problem with the way my family is involved with my personal private life also. I am a ball of tangled string.

Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Let me know where you live, I'll try to find someone for you.