Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

Hi Susan I was a happy mother of two beautiful children

Customer Question

Hi Susan:

I was a happy mother of two beautiful children until the February 2, 2010. I live in Canada for 3 years right know and everything was running very well for me and my husband.I have a great government job, my husband works in a restaurant. , and my children are attending day care. My second child was born here but unfornutaley I went through a very difficult labor and got burnt accidentally on my hip. I was very sad and in pain about, howevere after three months I had a skin graft and I was okay eventhough I have a scar after this. I got over it and started a new job and very happy. I thought I had everything with my new life in Canada. I managed within 3 years to finish the college, to adapt in a new life, to hav ea new baby. The only thing I couldn't get over, especially after my baby boy birth was my parents absence. My mother was in a waiting list for a liver transplant for 2 years and I was so worried about her. She is the meaning of my life after my 2 children and my lovely husband. I visited her on September 2009 and she was very sick. I left her and came back to Canada with a broken heart. However, I told my self "Look you have two children to take care of. On Feb. 2010 I went for a simple cold at my "stupid: family doctor. I told him that sometimes I have some chest disturbance that maybe are related to an anxiety. He terrified me and told your pulse is very high and you need to see a cardiologist. I went to a cardio office and they put a machine on me for three days. I got so worried taht I was shaking all the time. After three day I saw thecardiologist and he coulnd't believe that my family doctor send me with a puls 100 for that visit. He assured me everything was okay with my heart. After a day I was more relaxed until I heard that my mother went to the hospital for teh trasplant and my anxiety started like craziness. I coudn't stay in a place I went back to my family doctor and I was very angry at him. He told me you will fain, you can die if you don;t take medications etc. I didn't listen to him and didn't want medication...I couldn't sleep for two weeks. On the other side my motehr was doing well. After I started clonazepam, but it wasn;t so helpuful. I started to miss my sister, my mom but nobody could come because my mother was in an intensive care. I was so missinng them that I couldn't realized that I was falling into depression. In April 2010 I wasn't sure what was going on with me. I saw a psychologist and she told I have sighns of depresssion. I couln't believe something like this was happening to me. I start a CBT therapy with her, but I started not to concentrate, to feel fatigue etc. On Mya 12 I started Celexa 60 mg for 8 weeks...it didn't worked, I swiched to zolofot for 4 weeks 50 mg but my doctor switch me again in wellbutrin for a week and in notrepuline for a week and now I am on paxil 20 mg for two weeks. The side effect are terible but I hope then with time they will desapir. I feel very tired with too many switches and hopeless. I'm only 34 years old, I have everything running well in my life. My mother is doing much better. My sister is here with me. How come I;m in this siyuation. Since I strated the meds I feels worse. I can't believe a frend of mien took paxil for a yera and therapy and she is very happy right now. Please give your advice. I have dreams, I want toleave eventhough sometime I;m syaing myself where is the point of livin if I don't feel my childre (before that I waz in love with my chidlren and a ver very devoted myther) Right now I feel like I have no heart, and disconnected on the road. I don't enjoy the nature something that I used to enjoy so much . I was very very active before...please please I need your help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for bringing your question to JustAnswer.

I need a little more information to give you the best possible answer:

Are you medications being managed by a psychiatrist or a general MD?

Can you give me a little more detail about your statement " l feel like I have no heart, and disconnected on the road."

Which part of your situation would be most helpful for me to address? Can you formulate a question that you want me to focus on?

I look forward to reading your answers and working with you on this problem.

Suzanne

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes \i'm being attended by a psychatrist.....I mean I feel empty, like my heart emotionally is not squezing.....disconteced mean I'm not enjoying the nature, the trees, I feel like I have no contact in terms of enjoying the nature....
Expert:  Suzanne replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for filling in some more information.

Sometimes antidepressant medications (and I have had clients complain about Zoloft in particular in this regard) can make a person feel a bit emotionally numb...as if nothing can make them happy or sad.

You have been through a lot of medication changes in a short amount of time, and sometime the withdrawal from antidepressants can make a person feel very strange and disconnected for awhile. It is not an "addiction-type withdrawal" as they are not habit forming, but the changes in the brain chemicals as the drug gets out of your system can be hard to deal with.

It will be hard, but I would suggest that you not make any big decisions or changes in your life until you have been on the paxil for at least a month and your system has adjusted to all the changes.

You might also consider finding a second opinion from another psychiatrist. If they agree, then you will have more faith in the medications working eventually. Or, the other psychiatrist may take a different approach.

You've had a fairly radical change in your emotional state over the past year, and you need to be carefully monitored by a doctor you have complete faith in.

And I hope you are also still in therapy--a good therapist can see you more frequently that the MD can, and they can help monitor your symptoms and side effects, in addition to providing support during this difficult time in your life.

Please don't underestimate the effects that these rapid med changes can cause, and give yourself some time to adjust.

In the meantime, buy a CD on guided relaxation and go through the exercises each day. This will help you feel more grounded and connected to your body and the rest of the world. My favorite medication expert is Jon Kabat-Zinn and he has many good cds. You can also get an idea about his methods from watching him on u-tube.

These feelings will pass...this is not permanent. Your body will adjust. Remember, no big life changes for at least a month.

Suzanne

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Susan..Yes, I think the numbness feeling is coming from too many switches...I just think that there will be no medications for me, and from that come the hopelessness. I can't belive I will enjoy the nature the same way I used to do it before. I do have very bad thoughts but I'm trying to put them away for the sake of my children. I don't know what those med exactly do ...do they just help you sleeping better and osme times more than should be ...i sleep on the bus..i feel sleepy and I don't want to feel like this, or the med help you withenergy and mood change...my doctor told me maybe I can try effecor but I don't want to jump from one to another...Oh Susan, I'm too young for this and I love to live and enjoy my lovely children...why I'm thinking this is the end of the world...What else can I do to feel better....I can't imagine being hospitalized....I don't want to try any stupid think, even drinking...I am a mother first of all, an after a well - educated person....Believe many people know why thay are depressed ...I so confused I don't know...I'm praying to GOD TO LISTEN TO MY PRAYERS...
Expert:  Suzanne replied 3 years ago.

The trouble with antidepressants is that they often make you feel tired when you first start them...and when you're depressed, that's hard to tolerate.

These feelings WILL GO AWAY. There is no doubt of it. I would consider getting another opinion about your medications...

Also, you need to have a therapist who will support you through this.

It is absolutely vital that you not have any alcohol AT ALL during this time. Alcohol and antidepressants are a very bad mix!

Praying is good, and so is doing things to take care of yourself.

Medications alone will not fix your situation. You need:

1) therapy, and a second opinion on medications.

2) to take very good care of your physical health by eating right.

3) to make sure you get enough sleep,

4) to learn relaxation techniques as I mentioned in the last note.

5) to not use any alcohol or over the counter or street drugs while you are on antidepressants.

Taking control of your life by taking good care of yourself is within your power. If you need to find someone to watch your children for a few hours a day so you can relax and get grounded again, it is worth the expense.

This too shall pass...life will be good again, but you have to do your part as well.

Suzanne

Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience: LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.