Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

when I dont hear from my close friends I feel worthless, dont

when I don't hear from my close friends I feel worthless, don't want to bother but I kind like need to call them, what can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello Thank you for bringing your question on JustAnswer. It sounds like your response is natural and normal. Could you tell me a little more about your situation and question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live alone and my friends live far, but if I don't keep in touch everyday, emails or calls, I feel sick. They say it's not normal, friends don't do this, it's more a kind of lovers' style, but maybe I need that, as I don't have a lover
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Is your friend male or female?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they are three friends and all males
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your information. Friendship style may vary depending on the person. If your close friends feel like that it is a little much to hear from you everyday, that's because of his way of relating to a friend. Many men are okay to be alone for days. That also may be the reason why your friends feel there is no need to talk to or hear from you every day. I know it may be a bit difficult for you not to communicate with friends when they are not engaging. In reality, we all want to be in touch with someone every day, even family or friends. It's healthy and necessary for our mental health. If you have no lover now, friends mean more tom you. My answer is, keeping in touch with friends every day is normal and healthy. But you can not change your friends' opinion and comfortable friendship style. Did I answer your question?

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 9/1/2010 at 4:26 PM EST