Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Dr. I have OCD and recurrent anxiety. My psychologist is

Dr.:
I have OCD and recurrent anxiety. My psychologist is unavailable at this time, so I hope you can field this one for me. I am scrupulous.
Some thirty years ago when I was in grad school, I told my professor that a casting had turned out fairly clean, when really it had quite a bit of slag, etc. on it before finishing. (I was an art major in metals.) Now I am wondering if this statement could in some way compromise the degree I obtained in 1977. It may have been my largest casting, one of many, though, and I have no evidence any of the other castings were not good. I am quite certain I got As in all those studio classes. I am not sure why this bothers me so much now. These things just grow.
I have concern now as I am applying for a new job (not related to Art) and must report my highest level of eduxcation.
Oh, please help.
Thankyou.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Vikas :

Hello Customer,

Dr Vikas :

Could you kindly tell me that, currently are you also taking medicines for OCD and anxiety?

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I am not. In the past that seemed to make it worse. As I have very bad health insurtance now, I can't afford them.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Deep down in your mind, you must be knowing that there is no way a very simple lie told more than 3o years ago can affect your present situation. We all must have done it sometimes during our studentship. Also this has nothing to do with your application for the present job which are not even related as you mentioned.

One of the characteristic feature of OCD is recurrent, repetitive, intrusive thought "I told my professor that a casting had turned out fairly clean, when really it had quite a bit of slag, etc. on it before finishing." which you try not to think about, but it won't go away and this is what you are experiencing currently.

Another characteristic feature is doubt where you wonder for hours whether you might have caused an mistake earlier and it may affect you in future "Now I am wondering if this statement could in some way compromise the degree I obtained in 1977."

So, all I can say from here is that you need not worry about these thoughts and doubt too much, just try to use the relaxation technique your psychologist have told you if these thought become very troublesome.

Remember that, simply mentioning your highest degree in the application form can no way affect your chances to get his job, just believe in yourself and go for it.

I am sure that you will be successful and wish you all the best.

Regards

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics