Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

i suffer with depression, severe anxiety and panic attacks,

i suffer with depression, severe anxiety and panic attacks, i have been on mirtazipan for over a year now, but still feeling the same so my doctor has just prescribed lorazepam 1mg for me. i havnt started taking them yet as it says dont take if you are on certain other tablets and i am on them. i take cocodamol 30/500, for back pain, i take 2, 4 times a day. im also on mirtazipan and atorvastatin for high cholesterol and ramipril for high blood pressure. am i ok to take these tablets? im sure my doctor would have known i was on all these tablets when he prescribed them for me
Hello tinkerbell,

Could you please tell me the dose strength of Mirtazapine you are currently taking?

Also let me know about you sleeping hours and duration of sleep after taking Mirtazapine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i take 1 45mg about an hour before bed, i usually have around 10 hours sleep after that
Thanks for your reply. Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine and is very sedating in nature. On the other hand, Mirtazapine is also very sedating and therefore in my view, taking both Lorazepam and Mirtazapine may cause excess sedation in your case since you are already sleeping for 10 hours after taking Mirtazapine.

While taking Mirtazapine, if you are still feeling depressed, anxious and experiencing panic attack, it means that you are now not responding well to Mirtazapine and a very good alternative would be to augment Mirtazapine with another antidepressant drug in low dose such as Zoloft or Lexapro which are not sedating in nature.

If your depressive symptoms are under control and it is the occasional anxiety / panic attack which are bothering you, in this case mouth dissolving form of Clonazepam in low dose (.25mg) could be very useful. It can be taken on as needed basis whenever you are having an anxiety / panic attack.

You may discuss with your doctor about these two options.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, thankyou. my doctor was wanting to put me on beta blockers to help, but he said as i have asthma he couldnt do that. i am seeing him again next week to see if he has come up with anything else
You are most welcome. The two options I have mentioned could be very useful for you in my view.

I wish you a early and speedy recovery.

Thanks for coming to JA.

Best wishes