Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

hi, i was dignosed with depression four years ago, then last

hi, i was dignosed with depression four years ago, then last year i started seeing a new doctor and i admitted that i could have an eating disorder and with that i was redignosed with depression and anxiety. i find that the anti-depressions didnt do a thing so i stopped taking them but everytime i try to talk to my doctor she is more focused on the hole ED. the last couple of weeks im finding myself getting really depressed for no reason and going through moody swings where one minute im happy next im having a breakdown then it leads to having black outs when are trying to talk to me. i dont remember i think from this times and i dont know why its happening?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Maybe you need to see some other therapist.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Where do you live --- city and state.

JACUSTOMER-6htlpru4- :

queensland, brisnae

JACUSTOMER-6htlpru4- :

brisbane*

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You need a therapist who is going to look underneath all these symptoms to find out why they are occurring --- not just the symptoms.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Give me a few minutes. I'll check.

JACUSTOMER-6htlpru4- :

ok

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You need someone, as I already said, who will get a detailed history to find out what's underneath all your symptoms.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

If this person's fees are too much, do ask where you can see someone with his training for low cost.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

He will probably know.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You there?

JACUSTOMER-6htlpru4- :

yeah

JACUSTOMER-6htlpru4- :

i have tried to talk to many therapist but it has never worked, so maybe its just a waste of time.

JACUSTOMER-6htlpru4- :

thanks anyway

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Not if you are with a therapist with the right kind of training.

JACUSTOMER-6htlpru4- :

they all had training in eds and depression, so its not them

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Well that's not enough training. You need someone who doesn't just go after the symptoms but looks deeper.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Someone who has training beyond their PhD and beyond their psychiatry residency. Clearly what you had has not helped.

Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello - I'm Norman. I've read what Dr Schaye has told you, and I'd like to offer you a couple of suggestions.

First though, you say you get depressed for no reason. You don't NEED a reason if you are suffering from depression - and by the way, it often accompanies eating disorders.

That said, you need to change your Doc if you feel she is not giving you the care you need.

Secondly, it looks as if you may be suffering from mixed anxiety and depression - depression is causing you to feel bad, and the other part is that your negative thinking about your life situation is just adding to that. (I say "as if" because one cannot diagnose without a face to face consultaion and extensive medical history)

Medication alone is not the complete answer.

Both these things can be dealt with by a combination of proper medication and a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

The first thing you need to do is to see a new Doc and get re-evaluated. You need to have full trust in the person who is treating you. – he will give you a full diagnosis and if appropriate, change anti-depressant medication. He will also want to rule out any physical cause of what you are experiencing.

Depression is seen as a chemical imbalance in the brain, just as diabetes is a chemical imbalance in the body. Diabetics take medication to stay well, why shouldn’t you?

Don’t be afraid of taking medication – it could really help turn your whole life around

Two important issues about this - when you are on medication, you must take it at the correct dose and as prescribed. It is no use missing doses or messing around with the dose.

Secondly, you should know that anti-depressants can take up to 8 weeks from the start of therapy before they begin to show beneficial effects, so it's no use quitting after two weeks.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

Make the first step NOW – get an appointment with your Doc, and you can start to get better.

You’ll also find some very good help here:

http://www.depression.com/

Best wishes, NormanM

Experience: ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
In a 2010 article in Psychological Medicine entitled, "Cognitive behavioral therapy for the major psychiatric disorder: does it really work?", the authors found that no trial employing both blinding and psychological placebo has found CBT to be effective in schizophrenia. The authors also found few well-controlled studies of CBT in depression that found the therapy to be effective, but the size of the effect is small, and CBT is also ineffective in preventing relapses in bipolar disorder.