Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

My husband has just been diagnosed with adult ADD. All our

Customer Question

My husband has just been diagnosed with adult ADD. All our "issues" in the past are covered in the sympXXXXX XXXXXst. I feel really bad that things that were issues were symptoms and him just being what was predicted. Please send him some coping skill techniques. I am really hurting because he is so defensive with me when I'm really not attacking. He won't say anything positive to me or that he loves me. He has charisma with others and is nice to me when we are in company, but is horrible at home. PS He just retired!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

It might help to seek out an ADD/ADHD coach.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Remember what you said. He has ADD. This is genetic. He has no control over this. He needs also to be on medicine for his ADD. I think he needs to seek out a psychiatrist so that he could be medicated.

JACUSTOMER-pg0j8i66- :

Sorry, this was no help at all. He's on meds

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Sorry, you didn't indicate that he was on medication. You stated that what you have already tried was marriage counseling. I have no way to know whether he was on medication or not if you have not indicated as much. If the medication he is on is of no help then he should be discussing this with his psychiatrists. Then if a change in medicine is tried and that, too, is or has not worked then it seems that he would need an ADD coach.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Also, if he has just retired, he may especially not know how to manage his time --- all the more reason for an ADD coach. What city and state are you in?