Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education
45885103

I found out i had testicular cancer nine years ago and had

I found out i had testicular cancer nine years ago and had the all clear nearly four years ago,i was serving in the royal navy at the time and the whole system let me down(i ended up going to A+E to find out i had cancer),my whole career went into a downward spiral and i sought help for anxiety issues and depression. Ive been out of the navy for four years,but find i am becoming anxious again,getting mini panic attacks and becoming agrophobic,also suicidal,ive been to my doctor and been totally honest with him,but feel like im falling through the safety net again! help!! Also feel like bursting into tears all the time, and keep reliving the past.

You are describing, not Bipolar disorder but an anxiety state, most likely a combination of panic disorder with agoraphobia along with a low grade mood disturbance such as dysthymia. You clearly feel terrible but I have good news for you.

Both of these conditions are highly treatable. Although you probably have a genetic propensity toward these conditions the majority of these disorders are environmentally, developmentally caused. Through therapy, you can get better.

Please have your doctor refer you to a CBT practicing therapist. CBT, or cognitive behavioral therapy, can assist you to develop new approaches to these problems. Your physician, if following best practices protocols for these disorders will also most likely place you on a low dose of anti-depressant medications of the SSRI variety or similar. This combination of CBT and medication is highly effective for your condition.

I know you are not doing well at the moment but you are right on the brink of being able to resolve this. Your physician can help you link with a therapist and also provide you with the needed medications. Take heart. This is resolvable.