Dr. J
Dr. J, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Board certified practicing psychiatrist, trained at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
48088697

My brother was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder many

My brother was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder many years ago. He is currently on Depakote, Ambilify, and Risperdal. He was previously OK. However, for the past two weeks his behavior has turned strange. At first he was aggressive and threatening. This has seemed to go away after about a week. However, he now seems paranoid, experiences auditory hallucinations, and his speech doesn't make sense. He has been receiving all his medication (I have been giving it to him). Might a medication change solve this or does this sort of behavior clear up on its own without med changes?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. J replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. J :

It is difficult to tell. Like all disease processes there can be a natural waxing and waning that can be unpredictable at times. This can be minimalized by taking the appropriate medications, as well as being compliant with taking those medications. Has he been compliant with taking his medications, as people with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder have a high incidence of non-compliance. If he engages in activity currently in which he is either a danger to himself or others, he should see his perscriber or go to the emergency room immediately. With his change in behavior that is troublesome, it would be best for him to see his prescriber as soon as possible. Although it is not a guarantee, the earlier that problems are seen such as this, usually the greater the chance of having effective early and successful intervention.