Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I suffer from procrastination and anxiety - one fuels the other

I suffer from procrastination and anxiety - one fuels the other locking me in a vicious circle. This spiro is ruining my life. I think that I may have had undiagnosed ADHD as a child. I am now 60 and would not describe myself as hyperactive, more likely sedentary at the age of 60, although I am still active professionally. I often feel depressed and feel no longer in control of my destiny. How do I get my life back? Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hello I am a Clinical Psychologist.

Thank you for bringing your question on JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear your situation. You are suffering from procrastination and anxiety.

If you are open to psychotherapy, you will benefit from having a Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT). CBT is a most effective therapy for procrastination and anxiety. Also, you can read a self-help book such as The book MIND OVER MOOD by Dr. Greenberger and Padesky that may help you to understand the connection between your thoughts, feelings and behavior (action). You can use their cognitive therapy method by yourself. Also, the book Getting things done by XXXXX XXXXX may be helpful. I hope this info helps even a bit.

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 9/1/2010 at 6:26 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for recommending CBT (I have thought of this) and the MIND OVER MOOD book, which I have just ordered. I am however interested in your own professional advice regarding treatment / coping strategies for procrastination.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for response. It appears that the anxiety you have may cause procrastination. So treatment for anxiety, for example, therapy/counseling (CBT is a best method for anxiety) and/or group therapy for adults with anxiety can help you to reduce the frequency to procrastinate in the future.
Other strategies for procrastination is organization - 1. get a large calender that you can write all your tasks, write every single tasks on it and put it in your wall, 2. create daily, weekly and monthly lists of tasks; number then with deadlines in the oder of priority on your day minder, 3. Write "DO IT NOW" on the calender and day minder. 4. Always write down your small and large tasks in posits anywhere (carry post its or a small day minder) and do # XXXXX & 2 sometime weekly.

Importantly, you need to KNOW YOUR TASKS DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY; WRITE DOWN them; ORGANIZE them based on PRIORITY/deadlines; REMIND YOURSELF OF THESE TASKS using a large calender on the wall, a large white board on the wall, and a day minder/post its. This is also work, but it helped me. I hope this info helps.