Ask Dr. Sophie ::Neurology & Psychiat...

Dr. Sophie ::Neurology & Psychiatry
Dr. Sophie ::Neurology & Psychiatry, Doctor
Experience:  Neurology and Psychiatry
19824690

Over the past week at times I get this funny feeling at the

Customer Question

Over the past week at times I get this funny feeling at the top of my head... as if I can feel a pulsating or feel the blood flow or something. The feeling comes and goes randomly. It is not very painful just kinda uncomfortable. It seems to mellow out my mood.I finished a 10 day course of Cipro for what its worth.

I should also mention i had a sequence about a week ago where i drank water and afterward felt pulsations in my brain and uncontrollable leg shaking. D

I have no idea what this might be? What measures should I take?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Sophie ::Neurology & Psychiatry replied 4 years ago.

How old are you?

Do you have headaches at times unrelated to these symptoms?

Any vision disturbances?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
21

No

No

Is the pulsation in the scalp or deeper?

I noticed you went back and edited your original message.

How long did the leg twitch for? Did you try to stop it and were you successful at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the pulsation/feeling feels toward the top of the head. the scalp I guess

the leg shook for about a minute and eventually subsided.

It hasn't occured since
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
doctor i should also mention i took 1 ibuprofen about 3-4 hours ago.

Why did you take the Advil?

Again, did you try to stop the leg from moving? Were you able to?
Were you standing, sitting or lying down when the leg episode happened?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took it because of some minor pelvic pain

I could not control the leg. It stopped on its own though. I was sitting in a car.

The pulsating feeling on top of the scalp is probably irritated small nerve branch causing so-called paresthesias.
It it's deeper than the surface, pulsating feeling is often related to migraines, even if there is no frank headache.
Having said that, some people can experience pulsating sensation when there is an abnormal blood vessel in the brain (ex. AVM).
The leg problem was probably myoclonus, or a muscle twitch; this can occur due to electrolyte disturbance, muscle strain, fatigue, etc.
Rarely, though, simple partial seizures can cause a leg twitch that cannot be stopped.
Certain brain abnormalities (like an AVM) can cause these spells and sometimes no apparent cause is found.

Allt this is probably due to mild undiagnosed anxiety (abnormal neurotrasmitter release) and will resolve on its own.

If the leg twitch keeps recurring, though, and the pulsating feeling continues I would make sure you talk to a neurologist in person and get examined.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying this was triggered my anxiety?

I should also mention I took a little bit of Lorezopam over the last week (not on a daily basis though).

It is a possiblity because anxiety can mimic a lot of disorders, especially neurological ones.
A little bit of lorazepam might not be enough to treat this type of anxiety if this is what has caused it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so based on my symptoms you do not think this is such a big dela?

Ive felt oddness for about 2.5 hours now.

Not too painful but irritating.

feeling sorta sleepy now.

It's late, even if you are on the west coast so you should be sleepy.

it's nothing urgent, but i would mention this to your doctor.

best wishes.
Experience: Neurology and Psychiatry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thouhgt I had mentioned this. I woke up and the feeling is still there although mild. It's like a headache that doesn't hurt. It is not painful just really uncomfortable

A few more things I haven't had normal sleep in a week always waking up every 3-4 hours it seems.

I find it weird that this feeling popped up yesterday and is still lingering almost 12 hours later...

What might this be? Still say it's not too big a deal? Anything I should do besides going to doctor such as diet/exercise/activity? Anything I can dO?

I thought I asked this question already but dont see it sorry if repeating ..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
somehow my neck feels a little strained tis morning too although maybe I slept on it in a bad way or someting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it possible the 10 day Cipro course has caused this???
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
today my neck feels a little stiffer. could this be related

i should also mention at times in the past week ive felt stabbing and tingly sensations in my hand.

Dr. Im starting to get very worried about nerve damage from the Cipro...

Good morning,

Tell me what the "odd" or "weird" feeling is.

Can you move your neck OK in all directions?

Are you getting a headache?

Nausea?

Does bright light bother you?

Are you at all confused or don't feel like you can think clearly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I can move my neck in all directions.

No headache, but still feel funny in the head somewhat

Not sure if bright light bothers me, I'm inside

I don't feel confused, I think I can think clearly but it feels a little subdued.

No nausea, just discomfort.

Cipro would not produce nerve damage. It may cause tendon damage, give some restlessness -- which you seemed to have and insomnia. It may cause headache and even confusion.

Based on your answers, I'm not worried about meningitis or other neurological problems that need immediate attention.

The neck discomfort you experience is probably related to how you positioned it when you slept - esp. if you were tossing and turning.

A good medicine for it is a muscle relaxant like Robaxin or Flexeril. I would make an appointments with your doctor and get a prescription.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
At times with these symptoms I feel a minor heating up of my body too....

Again all of these symptoms are minor but I've been under a lot of stress/anxiety lately so every little thing get me worried.

Unrelated you think? Stress/anxiety reaction?

At end of day you don't think any of this is too big a deal??

Sorry for all the questions..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
also what about the minor stabbing sensations in my fingers.

Honestly, I think this is all related to your anxiety.

You sound like you have pretty significant generalized anxiety. I don't know very many 21-year old women who have a prescription for lorazepam.

Your symptoms do not suggest any specific neurological disorder which is very good news.

Experience: Neurology and Psychiatry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im a guy! Tongue out

Then I'm really surprised! Smile
If you have a significant other, take them out and if you don't just go out and have fun.
Take your dog out and if you don't have one - take a shelter dog out for a walk. It's really fun - I can vouch for it personally and it really makes you feel good.
You will see when your mind is occupied with good, fun things all the anxiety just melts away.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been under a lot of stress/anxiety lately due to prostatitis which really has caused some discomfort with sitting, urinating, and seems to have impaired my sex drive for the worse... pelvic pain at times too. I was having a lot of catastrophic thoughts about my future with regard to comfort and sex...

I even had one night where I went to the ER because I woke up with heart palpitations and shortness of breath and everything hcecked out fine and they said it was just anxiety.

What bothered me about this head discomfort was it just popped up suddenly with no trigger seemingly.

So you think I should just take it easy or should I still bring this up to my doctor?? And based on my symptoms I've described this is simply an anxiety problem?

It is understandable that you were stressed out about your recent illness. Prostatitis, however, is a relatively common condition and is curable.
It is relatively common for patients with GAD (gen. anxiety disorder) to wake up with a panic attack.
I do think you should take it easy.
I would suggest though that you check your blood pressure when you feel like that time you woke up and went to ER. There is a rare condition called pheochromocytoma that caused elevated catecholamines levels which in turn leads to episodic high blood pressure, headaches and panic attack-like symptoms including feeling of doom, etc.
If your BP is high, your doctor should check your catecholamine levels on a couple of occasions (they fluctuate).
I assume your thyroid function was checked and is OK. I'm not sure what your doctor did for you before prescribing Ativan but perhaps I should not assume basic things were checked.

Stay cool Cool

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The feeling has lingered throughout the day although relatively mild. I'm starting to feel some tension and discomfort in the upper neck area again. I can move my neck fine it just seems a little strained... it just seemed to pop up again randomly. Is there a possible connection? Can the neck tension be a byproduct of anxiety as well?

My thyroid is fine... my blood pressure's been fine as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
seems like it waxes and wanes throughout the day... I get very paranoid about it though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This feeling is accompanied with a mild sensation of pressure... are you sure this couldn't eb a hemmorhage or blood clot or tumor or something???
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
think im bein paranoid or something...but i still feel something.
Brain hemorrhage usualy presents with severe headache and mental status changes.
Brain tumors often cause seizures and focal neurological problems.

Your anxiety is producing more and more symptoms, which is a never-ending cycle.
I am beginning to see sign of somatoform disorder in your thoughts.

I don't think we'll be able to alleviate your anxiety online. I think you should see your doctor, in person and get evaluated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just woke up from about 2 hours of sleep... incessant pattern for about 10 days now of waking up every 2-3 hours.... funny feeling in head feels intensified..

Getting frustrated with this cycle/pattern./feeling!! havent slept normal in so long ..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If this is anxiety it is something new. Even though Ive always had a inclination toward anxiety/depression/negativity I have never had physical symptoms like those which feel like theyre popping up over the last 1-2 weeks..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That "irritated spot" was relatively quiet all day but I just drank a milkshake and it seemed to irritate that spot. Does this make any sense at all or am I just imagining things?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
irritated area seemed to get aggravated tonigt as I went to a festival... lots of light and sound. tingly, mild burning sensation along with irritability and mellow mood. still would assume it is an issue related to anxiety or this shed new light on the subject.

felt drowsy right after... don't think my process of thought was slowed down though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still waxing and waning. hasnt been to intense but uncomfortable.

sometimes it feels as if my sense of touch is reduced in my hands... pins/needles/burning sensations in hands... involuntary muscle twitches... sense of nose pressure/eye discomfort.. almost as if someone has punched m in the nose.. all of thsi waxes and wanes. I know it can be anxiety but are you sure that the Cipro is not having lingering side effects? the neck pain waxes and wanes too.

I have read that rarely some people can suffer nerve damamage from the Cipro? These symptoms seem to coincide with the Cipro too, although it has also been a very anxious time so maybe that has triggered all of this.

I am going to doctor on Thursday but woudl really be interested in a take on all this??

Expert:  Norman M. replied 4 years ago.
Please review all that Dr Sophie has told you - and act on it! She REALLY knows what she is talking about. See your Doc - if he cannot re-assure you as for a neurological consultation. Simply repeating the same questions is wasting your money!