Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

hi, im a french 37 years old guy who was diagnosised schizophrenic

Customer Question

hi, i'm a french 37 years old guy who was diagnosised schizophrenic in 1996. Besides, i have always suffered from a hypoactive sexual desire. My psychotherapist told me about a feer off being absorbed by my mom (she was depressive and searched affection into me)
But something sounds wrong : when i have a girlfriend, i need to give affection but what i don't understand is that i feel nothing when a woman gives me her love. So i wonder if my psy's theory is true. It's quite complicated...what is your opinion about all that. Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am a Clinical Psychologist.

Thank you for bringing your question on JustAnswer.

Perhaps it is likely that you interact with your girlfriend in the same way you did with your mother.

Does your experience with your girlfriends apply to your experience with mother? Did you feel like you have to give love to mother but you felt nothing when mother gives you love? If so, your reaction to mother and other women may have to do with your mother's depression and distorted way of giving love to you. I am so sorry if this is the case - you must have suffered a lot growing up and living with your mother. However, there must be something really good about your mother too (I hope) since you are actually capable of loving or giving love to women. Please let me know if I overlooked any.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't know. I have pieces of evidence that my mom was possessive. Do you think i want to give affection to women because i acted the same whith my mom ? And where is my love demand, why don't i search, need love ?

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Possibly you may have conflicted feelings towards women because your mom was depressed and possessive as you described. I am sure you may have loved your mom dearly, while it may be suffocating to be loved by your mom in the way she did. I imagine that of course all women in your life are different and you may have had different feelings towards them. But it is likely that you acted in the same or similar way to these women as you did to your mom. I am not asking you to find love and women now. That will happen naturally. But you still may have unresolved feelings towards your mom which may affect your relationship to woman whether it is positive or negative. I hope this helps even a bit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you Doctor. But as i didn't go ahead in my behavior comprehension talking with you, i'm afraid i'm not totally satisfied...
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I did not help you much here. Please wait for another expert. Thank you for patience.