Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

I have a son that has psychiatric issues, he is 22 and the

Customer Question

I have a son that has psychiatric issues, he is 22 and the only support he has is me.I don't know how to get him help without having a crisis and calling a crisis center. I have found every program available in our area and he never follows through. I don't want to kick him out as he really has no resources. Are there other options?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

Has he applied for social security disability or vocational rehabilitation services?

Customer :

I was told he can't get disability because he also had substance abuse probelms, He won't even take action. It all started with him having TBI, I have worked with the brain assoc of NY and everything points to him going to rehab which he won't do

Customer :

He won't take meds, he dropped his therapist etc

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

It is not true that he can't get disability if he has a substance abuse problem. You can go on-line to SSA.gov and start the application. At least the process will get started. The DVR will help him find a suitable job.

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

You may have to make it a condition of continuing to support him.

Customer :

Who is the dvr?

Customer :

I was told he needs a case manager and yet there is no one avaiable

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

In Wisconsin it is the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. The name is XXXXX XXXXX different states. Do you mind telling me what city and state your in. I will look it up for you.

Customer :

I can't put a psychiatric out on the street

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

Yes a case manager can some from the County agency for adults with disabilities.

Customer :

It's vesid here I went down tht road

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

I know you would not put him out but you can have rules and boundaries for him to follow (with a threat). Otherwise you are enabling his dependence on you. Ask him if he would like to be independent.

Customer :

Kicking him out seems to be the only answer, He can't have a case manager as any program requires he address the substance abuse first

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

OK well try the social security application...you don't need him to start it. It would give him a monthly stipend and health insurance.

Customer :

Threats are basically useless because he knows I won't kick him out

Customer :

Thankyou I understand you can't help nobody can

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

I am sorry. Please try the social security application. I am a consultant for Social security and see people granted benefits all the time who are like him

Customer :

What are benefits going to do he needs mental health help

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

The benefits (if you are the payee) will allow him some independence and health insurance

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

Previously I typed a few sentences which seemed to get deleted. The were about getting some help for yourself in the form of therapy to help you to set rules for him. This cannot be good for your health and your sense of hopelessness. SOcial security benefits will just ease some of the financial burden. you would need to be the payee as he is not using good judgment about treatment and drug use.

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

I also wrote (and it was deleted) that I believe most counties have case managers for adults with AODA problems. I realize he has to accept these services and probably would resist. he is tying your hands in helping him to be less dependent on you.

Dr. Bonnie Behee-Sem :

Sorry the flow of our conversation became disrupted because of this technology glitch tonight. I wish you well.