Sarah
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.
24585293

I assume this question would be best answered by a psychiatrist I

I assume this question would be best answered by a psychiatrist:

I have in the past been prescribed medication that predominantly made it difficult to cry. I am an actor and have some emotional scenes coming up this fall and wanted to find out what medications do the opposite of this and make it easier to cry?

Thank you for your assistance.

Ryan
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Ryan:

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I have specialization in psychopharmacology and have seen this many time. I have Ph.D. but would be happy to answer your question.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

What medication are you on.

Customer :

I am on no medications. I had taken an anti depressant a few years ago. I wanted to find out what medications might make a non-depressed person cry easier/become more emotional temporarily for acting scenes.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Sean - I had assumed you were on on a medication that led to emotional constriction, common in anti-depressants, especially SSRI. I am aware of no medication that would make it easier to cry (I assume you are not looking for false tears). Most that would would induce depression or hormonal imbalance. Counseling may help you learn to access these feeling more easily as may acting coaching. If you like, I will opt out of this to see if someone else has an idea.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Actually, I will just opt out and allow another expert to try.

Hi Ryan,,

I am by no means a doctor but am a psychologist. I don't know how easy this would be to employ in the acting arena, but it is possible to bring about emotion by taking yourself back to a very sad time in your life. The memories are held in our subconscious mind and are often in the form of senses, ie. Smells, sounds, colours, etc. That's why a particular perfume smell, for example, can trigger us back to memories from a long time ago. Presumably you would need to be able to control this emotion so as not to spoil your acting, but with practice you may be able to bring the past and the present together and show the emotions as you wish to. Perhaps you had a favourite pet that died or can recall a different sad event. You can use this also with happy times to evoke happy memories and genuine joy. Hope this helps, Best Wishes, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 8/27/2010 at 8:31 AM EST
Sarah, Psychologist
Experience: Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.