Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I wake up every night with my head full of things I wish I

I wake up every night with my head full of things I wish I had said or want to say to someone I am terrified to face my neighbor whom I had a confrontation and I am making myself crazy with it.
Chat Conversation Started
Tamara :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today. I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems. You are having some anxiety at night, which is common - but it can be very unnerving and cause even more anxiety and stress. I would recommend that before you go to bed, you write down everything that is on your mind, and get it out of your thoughts. Keep a notebook by your bed, and if you wake up at night, write down what you are thinking about so that you can review it in the morning. Thoughts that occur in the middle of the night are not worth listening to. That is a natural period of anxiety, and it is best to try to ignore those thoughts. By writing them down, you will feel that you have more control over them, and you will be less likely to obsess about them as you are trying to sleep. Writing things down is a wonderful way to deal with them and to give you clarity about how to handle them. Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara

JACUSTOMER-3vgslcvq- :

Its just one thought I have all night, I am constantly repeating in my head the sentence I want to yell at my neighbor, even though I know this action will do me more harm by causing even more tension, I dont know how to let it go, I hate them with my whole soul and its taking its toll. am Obsessive Compulsive?

Tamara :

I think it is probably more anxiety, and it is coming up more when you are trying to sleep - which is common. Again, I would suggest that you do some writing. Sit down and write a letter to your neighbor (not to send, of course) and get out everything you want to say to him/her. Go ahead and rage on paper, saying all the things that you fantasize about saying. Allow yourself to continue until you feel you have gotten it out. Then put it away for awhile (a few hours at least). Then go back and read it, and ask yourself the question "As I read this, I (feel, think, see, etc.) ..... Write this sentence down and complete it. This will give you some insight into the issue and will help you release it. Good luck. Tamara