Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

If youve got a daughter whom you adopted, and she has not

If you've got a daughter whom you adopted, and she has not been in therapy, and it was recommended not to do so unless she started acting out sexually (due to sexual abuse)...if her behavior turns suddenly and a counselor recommends inpatient treatment because the way she is behaving sounds like classic that proper to jump straight into inpatient treatment from "nothing"?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems with your daughter. I'm sure this has been a difficult process for you. There really isn't a "proper" way to deal with this type of issue, but I certainly can understand your reluctance to put her into inpatient treatment without trying some other things first. I would recommend that you get another opinion, and then seriously consider trying some outpatient therapy first. Although inpatient treatment may ultimately be necessary if she does have RAD, it isn't always required. Get another opinion, and find out exactly why they recommend inpatient before trying any other options (e.g. outpatient therapy). Then you will have more information with which to make a decision that you feel fits best for you and your daughter.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara