Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

Good Morning. As you can see I am an early riser. I am 56

Good Morning. As you can see I am an early riser. I am 56 years old and a widow. My husband died 6 1/2 years ago due to Multiple Myeloma. Starting from six months after Dave's death to the present, whenever I run into a friend I have not seen since Dave's death, I am usually asked the question, "have you met anyone?" or "are you dating." I always kindly reply "no, I do not wish a new relationship in my life." Then most responses are "you're still young, you'll meet someone" or similar answers like that. I really want to scream in their faces and say "this is my life and it is all about ME now and I don't need a man to complete me." I have my family, my new grandchildren, my work and friends and have finally come to terms with Dave's death. I have to say that 2010 is the first year that I finally feel emotionally good. I feel my response to the "dating/meeting anyone question" is a good response, but my friends still don't get it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Sincerely, Pam
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You sound incredibly healthy to me. One thing to understand is that people don't know what to say so often they repeat lines they hear in movies and TV. Another reason is that many people would not enjoy being single and can't imagine that you're fulfilled in your life without a partner. You're in the category of women who plan on having children...people just don't get it.....and here's the kicker: they never will.

What ever you say most likely won't make them really understand your contentment, so the words don't matter as much as the thought and the connection to the person. Forgive them their misunderstanding of the situation and if they persist, give them a little talking-to about how bothersome that attitude can be to you. Enjoy your full life!

My best to you,