Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

My daughter is 23, lives at home, just graduated from college

My daughter is 23, lives at home, just graduated from college and is dating a 27 year old guy who has an ankle braclet due to alchol, do not have a car or a drivers license and works in a restaurant. They are never apart, he's like a leach. My daughter is happy. Where do I draw the line between her happiness and my disapproval?
Chat Conversation Started
Tamara :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today. I'm sorry to hear that you are having this situation with your daughter. The reality is, however, that she is an adult and you can't control who she sees or how she chooses to spend her time. However, because she is living in your home, you do have the right to say that she can't live there and not be working (she shouldn't be living there anyway). You absolutely have the right to tell her that she needs to have a job or move out (although I think you should just ask her to leave). Then you don't have to deal with the boyfriend, and you aren't enabling her to act irresponsibly. Tell her this situation isn't working for you, and that it needs to change. You're in control of your home and what happens there - but you aren't in control of her. Best wishes, and please let me know if you have any further questions. Tamara