Sarah, Psychologist
Experience:  Chart'd Psych, 12 yrs exp. English prisons, Clinical Hypnotherapist, EMDR Therapist, BPS, HPC reg'd.

I believe that I have been depressed ever since I had my first

I believe that I have been depressed ever since I had my first child in 2002. I have three children ages 8, 5 and 11 months. I feel sad and worthless most of the time, have loss of interest in my children, almost like I don't know how to play or interact with them, am frustrated easily and when I get angry I blow up and cannot get over my anger, I have a hard time focusing on anything. I avoid social situations and do not like being around other people. Recently, I have developed a mysterious condition where my eyelids are swollen, itchy, burning, flakey and peeling. At one point I actually had sores in the creases of my eyelids. At the same time that the eyelid thing started I also got what my doctors said was a vaginal yeast infection. I had numerous different perscriptions for both problems with no relief. Finally after taking four differnet rounds of diflucan for the "yeast infection" I insisted that my doctor do a PAP test to rule out anything else and the test came back with no yeast present, no std's yet my symptoms persist. I find it very odd because the symptoms on my eyes are very similar to what is happening on the outside of my vagina. When thse things first started happening they were terrible and over time they are not as bad but still bothering me. Not sure if I have developed a bit of an immunity to whatever this is over time? My doctor sent me for blood tests and the blood test came back normal. That is when he suggested that I go on anti depressants. I was insulted and switched doctors. I realize that he thought that I am crazy because these problems were and still are causing even more and worse anxiety and depression. I do not want to leave my house, I cry all the time and I constantly think about killing myself. Still, I have persisted in trying to find out what this is and how to cure it or get some relief. I have now been refferred to a dermatologist and and an allergist but haven't got to go and see either one of them yet. I am not imagining these symptoms but I feel like that is what my doctor thinks. Now it seems that this itchy flakiness is spreading to my mouth around my mouth and nose. No amount of moisturizer, vaseline, coconut oil or anything else that I have tried will get rid of it. I feel like my physical problems are not being taken seriously and it is worsening my mental state. Before all of this happened I would say I was depressed but able to function and now I feel like I am on the edge of losing my mind. This has been going on for the past nine months and is consuming my life. I am starting to question my sanity. Like if my doctor thinks I am crazy, maybe I am crazy. I don't feel crazy but if that's what he thinks.... Maybe I do need anti depressants. I really just want this problem to be resolved and I want to be able to focus my attention on my children who I love very much but feel disconnected from them. I think I would benefit from talking to a therepist or mental health professional but don't know how I would even begin to make time to do that since I am with my children all the time and do not have a reliable babysitter. What should I do? psychiatric help online
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Sarah : Hi there,
Sarah : Thanks for your question to just answer about your symptoms. I am not a doctor and cannot tell you what this may be in physical terms, but I am hoping I might be able to help you on the psychological front.
Sarah : I'm sorry I lost my signal, it looks as if you haven't received any of the message I was wringing to you.
Sarah : I will stay here for a little while and see if you come back.
Sarah : Cai please reasssure you that you only pay one fee for my reply, even if we chat for a while. You only pay the fee if you press the accept button, which says that you are happy with my help and are willing to pay for my time. There are no hidden charges, but you can choose to pay a bonus as well if you wish to.
Sarah : As you aren't there at the moment, I am going to change the format of the questions to q and a, rather than live chat and you csm get back to me in your own time if you wish to. I need you to answer some questions for me if I am to help you. Plpeae can you tell me if, in the past, theree haas been any incident that has happened, or if anyone has said anything to you, no matter how long ago, about your skin, eyes, vagina, sexual behaviour, or anything that would remotely relate to your current symptoms, even when you were a little girl? Please can I ressure you that you won't be charg unless you press accept, and then I will get paid for my time. best Wishes, Sarah
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From age of 18-21 I was an exotic dancer. Applied to go to college but had bad relationships with my parents and couldn't get them to sign my student loan papers, so couldn't go endedd up dancing until I got together with my husband then quit.
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the info.. Can you recall anyone or anything happening or being said that relate to any of your symptoms, even from many years ago? Where did you do your exotic dancing, it sounds great!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not really anything to relate to my symptoms. This all happened pretty suddenly, I was fine and then I started to have a bit of an itch and then next thing you know I was swollen and peeling in both places. Nothing like this has ever happened before. Danced in alberta.
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

I will tell you what I am thinking. Our subconscious mind is often overlooked, but it can have a very powerful effect on our life. Sometimes when we experience highly emotional situations (aka trauma, can be personal trauma, not necessarily a national disaster), then the subconscious mind can absorb negative emotions and beliefs about itself. The world is then viewed within these beliefs and importantly, to let them be processed away. sometimes the subconscious mind makes sure that the result is what it intends, as it causes symptoms or distress to bring about the goal. Now this goal can be irrational, but the subconscious mind very much believes that by abiding by this belief, then it is keeping you safe from harm. For example, if the subcsoncsious mind beleives that it is dangerous to fly on a plane, it will create fear and anxiety when the peerson plans to fly - the triggers can spread to even seeing an aeroplane on tv. The role of the subconscious mind is always to keep us safe. I am wondering where your anger comes from that you describe, why you don't like being around people and avoid social situations. It is very possible that the emotions and thoughts you are holding internally are related to these symptoms. The symptoms may encourage you to stay indoors and 'stay safe' away from people.

I understand it is difficult for you to find time to have therapy, but I believe that you would need to see a professional. In order to help you with this. If you could find the time to see an EMDR therapist, they would be able to help you to o find out where this anxiety and anger is stemming from and more importantly, to let it go. Because the work is done in the subconscious mind, you don't consciously have to be able to explain how this is all working within your mind, your subconscious mind will do it for you. You can find more information about emdr at and a therapist local to you. It might be worth checking out childcare issues with the therapist and see whether they could come to your home where you could have a friend round to look after them for an hour at a time, or maybe you could do some therapy in the evening when they are all asleep?

alternatively, you could try a hypnotherapist, who could also explore your beliefs and your anxiety with you. There are many cases of physical symptoms being alleviated through subconscious work, and the fact that the medical people can find no immediate cause fir your symptoms suggests to me that they are created and maintained by your subconscious mind. How does that sound? Looking forward to hewing from you. best Wishes, Sarah

Edited by Sarah on 8/18/2010 at 8:52 PM EST
Expert:  Sarah replied 6 years ago.
Hi there again,

Just wanted to tell you something I have read today - there is a lady who uses dowsing rods to find out some answers, and she does this remotely over the phone. It sounds bizarre, but I thought you might like to look at her website Her name isXXXXX and she lives in Italy. She was able to tell a lady suffering from cancer that it was relate to her hair dye!!!!! So I thought of you, and maybe she could tell you here your symptoms come from. No need to pay for this info, just wanted to pass it on. Best Wishes, Sarah