Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

my 8 yr old son who recently returned from an eight week stay

my 8 yr old son who recently returned from an eight week stay with his dad has started to have 'accidents'. he did occasionally have this problem in the past from time to time but it has become increasingly more frequent since he returned from his father's. he told me he does'nt know if he needs to pass gas or go to the bathroom and he told me that he wets the bed at his dads at least once a week, he never does so at home. he is eight yrs old and only weighs about 45 lbs. he has been seeing a gastroenterologist for 6mos and he has not been able to determine a physiological cause for his failure to thrive although he eats well. what should my next step be?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Your son could have an absorption problem, or a food intolerance, but the GI doc should be able to test for that.Has he been tested for celiac disease? As for the increasing rate of "accidents" I am more alarmed by that symptom, especially since it happens more at Dad's than at your house. Enuresis or encopresis (bowel accidents) in children who have been toilet trained can sometimes indicate trauma.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

My suggestion is that you take your child to a child psychologist for an evaluation to make sure there has been no trauma and if there has been to get him the treatment he needs.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
I have switched this to Q and A for your convenience.