Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

What does Altered Mental Status mean I was in Shock and Severely

What does Altered Mental Status mean? I was in Shock and Severely Traumatized from being a Disabled woman, and could not defend myself, from being violently beaten to unconsciousness and almost died. Unconscious for 5 days in Critical Care.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Altered mental status is not a normal psychiatric term. I am guessing they were talking about your shock and trauma. Can you explain more about how that term came to be used in relationship to your situation?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

Yes I will try to give you a little more informaiton

Customer:

so you can answer

Customer:

See, my brother was the one who beat me and nearly killed me. My dying Mom was in his and his wife's care. He promised me and my Nurse sister and oldest sister we could see Mom and be with her by her side before Mom died

Customer:

He changed his mind and would not allow us daughters to be with out mom. He beat me to a pulp. Caused me brain trauma where I had to be woke up every 2 hours to be sure I was still breathing

Carol Kryder LMFT :

In this case (a terrible situation to be sure) I believe the altered mental status referred to the physical trauma to the brain, causing a cognitive problem. When the brain is injured it will impact your cognitive processes.

Customer:

After I was in Critical Care for 5 days. I got a copy of my Medical Report. I did not know what the meaning of what it meant, that I had some sort of mental status change

Customer:

I've been awefully agressive and curse alot. I never use to be that way

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I think they were talking about your being unconscious and returning to consciousness with lasting negative effects. With this type of injury and the fact that you were unconscious for such a long time, it is very normal to have some type of lasting effect. The aggressiveness and cursing are not typical for you and constitute an altered mental status

Customer:

I really did change. It amazes me how the Medical and Psychological Staff how they could tell I was changed.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do to turn back to who I use to be?

Customer:

I was running unexplained high fevers of 104.8 also

Carol Kryder LMFT :

OK, then that definitely is what they are talking about. Although you recovered physically from the beating, but injury to your brain caused a change in your cognitive functioning, much like a stroke victim will change behavior after recovering. I am not sure what can be done. I think you should consult with a neurologist.

Customer:

I did not recovery physically hon. I have broken jawbones, broken neck and broken off bone in the back of my throat to this day

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Oh, my. You are in rehab I hope. You have a long road to recovery. Please get a consult from a neurologist to see what can be done about your brain injury.

Customer:

YES I HAD A BIG STROKE ALSO

Customer:

IT MESSED UP MY SPEECH BAD

Customer:

no not in rehab. I am very depressed because I can't get a surgeon to get the broken bones off my major arteries to my brain, this is why i had a stroke

Carol Kryder LMFT :

OK, the stroke could definitely be the cause of your aggressiveness and cursing problem. You need to talk to a stroke specialist to discuss treatment options. I am sure you can be helped.

Customer:

The Neurologist said my injuries was out of his scope of expertise. They are all saying this, and I've been left in the state of injury and dangerous levels of death anytime

Customer:

I

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I am so sorry. This issue is getting out of the level of my expertise, also. Did the neurologist give you any referrals to other doctors or clinics?

Customer:

I am on 120 mg of morphine for pain and hate it! It seems like no one will or knows how to help me, so I'm still going to die, because the injuries broken bones are in dangerous places like at the brain stem

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I don't know how I can help you within the context of this forum. Would you like me to transfer your question to the medical side of Just Answer?

Customer:

No they won't be any better able to help me either. I just wish it was an easier less painful way to die.

Customer:

You can take the $30.00 out of my acct for trying to help me

Customer:

Thank you for trying.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You are so welcome. If I have been helpful and you want to pay me, please click on "accept." I wish you the very best and please accept my warmest regards.

Customer:

Thank you sincerely, I will click on the accept

Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience