Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.

This is a follow-up question to one I asked last May, 2010.

This is a follow-up question to one I asked last May, 2010. My 10 year old reported to me a couple of symptoms indicative of schitzophrenia which were hearing someone call his name when no one was calling it and hearing two people argue when it was not really happening. He and I discussed it briefly. He heard someone calling his name a couple of times in the next month or so after his disclosure to me, but no arguing (that he reported to me, anyway) and in the last month or so he reports no occurences at all. My question is .. there is nothing to treat right now and so I have done nothing but monitor the situation. Is there some treatment that he should receive right now to "ward off" schitzophrenia? Should I have him in treatment right now even though there are no symptoms?

Please consider the medical aspects of schitzophrenia in your response. My question is more of the development of schizophrenia and if it shows a symptom or two does that mean it will manifest itself fully at a later time in Parker's life or if there is something that can be done to stop it's development.

Thank you so much for your consideration.
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Schizophrenia is largely thought to be a genetic disease that is usually triggered into active symptoms in the late teens and early twenties. There is currently no test or treatment that can be done to identify and treat young children before they develop the disorder. Not everyone how carries the genes becomes Schizophrenic. Even someone born to two parents who have the disorder can still manage to not develop Schizophrenia.

What you describe could be from other disorders, including a normal part of your sons age. Sometimes it is due to anxiety or stress (such as in depersonalization or dissociation), sometimes as part of sleep issues (such as hypnagogic episodes or sleep disorders), or even part of medical problems (like seizure disorders) and can sometimes happen in kids who never develop the criteria for any disorder.

Your best bet is to keep an eye out for further symptoms, and seek a psychological evaluation if you believe the symptoms are happening on a frequent basis or if they are starting to cause functional problems for your son (such as disruptions at school, fights with peers, withdrawing from social activities, etc.). Until then, continue to let your son know that it's safe to talk to you about anything, and try not to panic (hard to do as a parent, but kids pick up on our panic and can start to hide symptoms in order to protect us from feeling that panic).

Best wishes,