Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I dont smile too much. I smile when some things are funny,

I dont smile too much. I smile when some things are funny, but in a few minutes after, I am back to my dull/frowning face.

I'm not sad or anything, but I just find smiling to be harder than having a dull/frowning face.

I don't want people to see me as a depressed/angry/boring person. I want them to be able to approach me with a good impression.

How can I improve myself?

Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

This is a good question, and you're smart to attend to this problem as it will make a big difference in how you're perceived by people. Smiling and facial presentation can be learned as a skill and practiced so that you do it more often whether you have the emotion behind it or not.

Start with making a decision that every time you think of it, you will smile. Alone or in company...move the outer part of your lips up gently and raise your eyebrows to open your eyes wider. This is a very attentive face. Look up and out and smile. Put something around your wrist, and every time you see it, do the smile. This brings the cue to smile from the outside instead of waiting till 'you feel happy' to smile. Pretty soon, you'll remember very often to open your face up so that others see you as an inviting person. People will naturally reflect the smile back to you, which is great feedback and encouragement.

You can read more about the importance of this by googling 'smile cues' and facial impressions'.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna