Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

Ive been kicked around from doctor to doctor due to lousy

I've been kicked around from doctor to doctor due to lousy insurance coverage. For years I was diagnosed as depressed with major anxiety. A recent trip to the ER had me rediagnosed as bipolar though my therapist says he does not see any of the bipolar features. Can I safely discontinue use of 200 mg @ 2x a day for Carbamazepine without any major effects?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

The biggest risk is seizures, and it's not unwarranted, so if you choose to discontinue Carbamezepine, you need to do it slowly. The best way is to call the prescribing doctor's office and ask for a step-down schedule. This way, they'll have your medical history at hand and can warn you of any other interactions you may have with other disorders or medications. Warnings

If you decide you want to do it on your own, 25% reduction every 2 weeks is the most common method for self-directed withdrawal. Carbamazepine has a half-life of 24-65 hours, so it exits your body very slowly over 1-3 days. This means you want to take it slow, as today's reduction won't really be felt for 3 days and you don't want to get ahead of yourself.

Sorry you've had to change doctors so much...that really makes it hard to find the right medication and dosage.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.